Should I stay away from a 2010 with 170k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Metal578

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've wanted a Gen 1 6.2l Raptor since they were first released and I'm finally about in a position where I can pick one up. Just waiting on the Army to finish processing my re-enlistment bonus.

I was dead set on a blue 2010 SCAB with 78k miles for $30k, but by the time I was finally able to get ahold of the dealer, a deposit was put down on the previous day. I was tolded they would call me if the deal falls through and almost a week later it still hasn't gone through, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Since then, I have come across the Raptor that this post is about.
It's a supposedly babied, perfrctly maintained, never taken off road, Orange 2010 SCAB for 28k. New Fox 3.0s, tires, and some front suspension parts all within the last 15k miles and the owner is willing to take it to the local Ford dealer for a PPI if I pay for it. However, it does have 170k miles on it.
I know these can last for alot longer than 170k, but that still feels like alot of miles for 28k even if it has never left the pavement and been correctly maintained.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Gen 1's well maintained raptors have been holding their value nicely and lately they have increasing to the point where they are getting close to their original purchase price! I blue booked mine the other day, 2010 with 18700 miles, molten orange in mint condition at $42,000 to $45,000 which I payed $45,000 in Oct. 2010. If its been well maintained there should be a lot of years of life left with 170,000 miles on it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of the miles on mine are highway and I'm at 146000 miles, besides some chips in the paint and a couple wrinkles in the leather it still drives and looks like the day i bought it new. If it is well maintained a dealership inspection will show that. They will be able to tell if the fluids have been changed on the diffs and transfer case, etc, if they haven't been resealed, that would be a red flag that it has not been well loved!!

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way in hell I’d pay that much. I bought my truck a year ago with 112k for $23k and I have recently seen very competitive deals for sale in Phoenix where I live. I’d keep looking

OP
OP
M

Metal578

Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone.
The ad for it did state every fluid was replaced every 2-3 years with oil every 5k miles or less, so I figured it was pretty well maintained.

As for the price, I checked the blue book value and it was about 21k. So would it be fair to say about 24k-25k is a reasonable price with the Fox 3.0 shocks and BFG KO2 with having under 15k miles on them? (Assuming it is actually in as good of shap as the seller states)

flynford

Reaction score
One of the key things to look at in my opinion is to see if there is documented proof of transmission service of some reasonable mileage intervals. My personal interval is ~25-30k irregardless of manufacturer recommendations. If followed, the transmission will live a very long life. If not, then around 70-85k you'll find folks who've replaced the transmission or selling in that range because it probably showed signs of slipping then selling it because they're avoiding the cost. They'll never tell you that but I've seen this pattern all to often.