Should I go two Baja fogs or 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The OP asked about fog lights. I'll answer that question! There is a sweet spot with regard to how much light you can use in fog before it gets reflected back to you and becomes badly counterproductive. I went with one pair of Diode Dynamics SS3 Stage 3 DOT/SAE Sport amber pods, and I think they produce close to the maximum you'd want to use in heavy fog conditions. They are down in the bumper cutouts, which is a bit high, actually, for fog lights. The idea of fog lights, of course, being that they are low enough to illuminate the road in the clear gap between the road and the bottom of the fog layer. The height of the Raptor's bumper cutouts puts a genuine limitation on how effective fog lights can be in that location. Bear that in mind. Too much light projected INTO the fog gets reflected back at you.

I also have amber halogen fog lights (halogens get hot enough to be self-cleaning [just in case]) down in the lower grill at about the same level as the DD SS3s. Also amber halogen street legal driving lights and white PIAA halogen off road lights up above the bumper. Every pair is individually switched so that I can adjust to accommodate to conditions in real time.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP asked about fog lights. I'll answer that question! There is a sweet spot with regard to how much light you can use in fog before it gets reflected back to you and becomes badly counterproductive. I went with one pair of Diode Dynamics SS3 Stage 3 DOT/SAE Sport amber pods, and I think they produce close to the maximum you'd want to use in heavy fog conditions. They are down in the bumper cutouts, which is a bit high, actually, for fog lights. The idea of fog lights, of course, being that they are low enough to illuminate the road in the clear gap between the road and the bottom of the fog layer. The height of the Raptor's bumper cutouts puts a genuine limitation on how effective fog lights can be in that location. Bear that in mind. Too much light projected INTO the fog gets reflected back at you.

I also have amber halogen fog lights (halogens get hot enough to be self-cleaning [just in case]) down in the lower grill at about the same level as the DD SS3s. Also amber halogen street legal driving lights and white PIAA halogen off road lights up above the bumper. Every pair is individually switched so that I can adjust to accommodate to conditions in real time.
Fantastic info. Thanks. I’m looking at upgrading more for light on the trails in addition to everything else more so than helping in fog. I live in AZ and see fog very very rarely. But good points nonetheless

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Fantastic info. Thanks. I’m looking at upgrading more for light on the trails in addition to everything else more so than helping in fog. I live in AZ and see fog very very rarely. But good points nonetheless

You definitely want some lights higher up as well then. The bumper pocket is ok for in close, but they’re pretty easily obstructed, relatively. The S8 behind the grille kit puts out light at slightly higher than headlights, which is really good. You lose -some- throw from it, but not as much as most people think and once you light it up, you can see a lot better.

That’s not to say discount the bumper pocket lights, far from it, they can help in moderate dust conditions.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely want some lights higher up as well then. The bumper pocket is ok for in close, but they’re pretty easily obstructed, relatively. The S8 behind the grille kit puts out light at slightly higher than headlights, which is really good. You lose -some- throw from it, but not as much as most people think and once you light it up, you can see a lot better.

That’s not to say discount the bumper pocket lights, far from it, they can help in moderate dust conditions.
Definitely agree, for the most part. You can for sure get some good long range out of the fog pocket lights but it's an area of your truck that is most blocked by debris, dust, etc so it's good to have lights higher for a nice unobstructed long range pattern.

@4wheelinAZ we've got the S8 kit in stock here: https://offroadalliance.com/products/baja-designs-2017-raptor-30-s8-behind-grille-light-bar-kit/. We've always got good pricing for FRF members.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree, for the most part. You can for sure get some good long range out of the fog pocket lights but it's an area of your truck that is most blocked by debris, dust, etc so it's good to have lights higher for a nice unobstructed long range pattern.

@4wheelinAZ we've got the S8 kit in stock here: https://offroadalliance.com/products/baja-designs-2017-raptor-30-s8-behind-grille-light-bar-kit/. We've always got good pricing for FRF members.
Thank you sir. Nick has a quote out to me

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Agree 100%. Adding light in the grille is definitely on the menu, just trying to offset purchases to ease the wallet.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 3 pack looks kind of weird down their. Should I just go with the 2?

Go with a triple setup. Our brackets were designed specifically for the Gen3 Raptor. They allow you complete control over how the lights sit. This means your lights won't stick out or look weird sitting at awkward angles. They sit nicely in the opening.

Here are some examples. And our kits are 10% off right now (discount added once in your cart) in celebration of the 4th of July (Sales ends this Friday, the 8th):

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicle-specific/ford/ford-f-150/2021-f-150-raptor/fog-lights/

These are with our KR Off-Road brackets (made in the USA with a lifetime warranty!)

Baja Designs1.png

Morimoto 4Banger.png

Raptor2.jpg

Raptor5.jpg