Should I buy a Rust Belt Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK92

Reaction score
I've always been hesitant to buy a vehicle from any of the rust belt states. Should I ever consider buying a Raptor (specifically a Gen 2) from any of those snow states?

I know that the Gen 2 has an aluminum body, but the parts underneath are still susceptible to rust and rotting.

It's always hard to tell if a Raptor has any rust when shopping online. Obviously the only way to be sure is to check it out in person - which isn't practical when the prospective Raptor is sitting halfway across the country!

What do you guys think? Should I completely avoid buying a Raptor from the rust states altogether?

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well not to be “that guy” but it depends.

How long you are planning on keeping the truck. If you only plan on keeping it a couple years, then no big deal.

How old the truck is. If it is only a couple years old it should be in better shape then one that is say 6 years old.

Depends on the truck. Was it a toy that didn’t see the salt or was it the Twitter vehicle?

I can keep going, but I’m sure you get the point.

I would worry too much, especially with a gen 2. The only item that would really rust and maybe be a problem is the frame. If the traveling to look at the truck is the problem, then I wouldn’t fool with it unless the truck checks the boxes otherwise. That or ask for photos.

For what it is worth, I live in Ohio and bought a used vehicle, also from Ohio. I had/still have to stop rust, and keep working on the truck. It is just part of it and nothing lasts forever

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people take care of their stuff, some don't. I crawl under the truck before considering one, and if they are too far away I ask for pictures of the undercarriage. Not just for rust, but also leaks, damage, signs of extreme use, presence of non-OEM parts, etc.

Citizen Park

Reaction score
Regardless of where, pay a few extra bucks and get a complete PPI from a qualified independent mechanic. When I was shopping for mine and had PPIs done with a few I found on the east coast, they found a bunch of shiet (with some having rust BEHIND the door card) an untrained eye wouldn't bother to look. Some might disagree, but I'm a firm believer any inspection should include the rig being on a lift.

I created my own PPI checklist so if you want to use it, ping me with you email.

Last edited:

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All depends on how its maintained. Mine is a 2011 gen1. Very minimal rust. And whats there is going to be fixed. I constantly do undercarriage wash and it goes into a warm garage every day

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Mines an east coast truck. Came up from nc and i bought it off the guy in nh (which he stored it in the winter). It did have a couple surface rust spot on the frame, easy fix and now covered in waxoyl !!! So just like others have said its all in the care of the truck.