Should I buy a higher mileage gen 2 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DullTrident

Reaction score
I found a 2018 Raptor for sale with 100k miles for $41k before tax (private sale). Clean title, zero accidents

It's a 2018 with the 802A package, 2.5 lift, and some mods, but nothing crazy. Seller says first owner was an older guy who had a lot of hwy miles (~85k). He's had it since for over a year now and it just broke 100k. He also had the cam phasers replaced at 90k through Ford.

I know it's impossible to predict the market, but let's say I wanted to sell it in a couple of years and I'm sitting at 150k miles, how much of a loss do you think I would be taking? Should I be concerned with reliability issues if it was maintained well?

I thought I should hear if I'm making a bad decision now rather than potentially afterwards.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you absolutly want a raptor and 40K $ is your budget, it could be your deal ! it's better when 100K miles are one highway than Baja (just less fun for the driver ;))

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless its got a pretty full maintenance history you can actually hold or pull up... I wouldn't. But that's ME. will be a 20-24k truck with 150k miles on it in a few years is my guess

Last edited:

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes, he must not forget that whith 100K miles, he should keep $ for a probably bad surprise, or not ...
You never know. Im gonna be honest... I have never kept a truck past 50k miles cause I like having all the newest gizmos and gadgets. But... I was a Service advisor for 5 years. Have seen it all. Somebody could say a truck had easy miles and it means nothing to me... without proof of proper maintenance ... I would very leery.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Keith88, you be an automotive guru par excellence, and I can prove it with first-hand and very recent experience.

My wife decided that her 2013 Ford Edge with just over 200,000 miles on it needed to be replaced. She didn't want to bother with an independent sale and decided to trade it in on a Toyota Venza hybrid. I prepared a single-page synopsis in Excel of all of the maintenance and repair that I had done on the car - scores of oil changes, dozens of air filter changes, new shocks, new struts, new plugs, new brakes, transmission/transfer case/differential fluid services, in short - everything with dates and mileage. The Toyota dealership said they'd never seen anything like it and offered $1,000 more than Kelly Blue Book value for it in trade.

Maintenance records have value.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It's a 2018 with the 802A package, 2.5 lift, and some mods, but nothing crazy. Seller says first owner was an older guy who had a lot of hwy miles (~85k). He's had it since for over a year now and it just broke 100k. He also had the cam phasers replaced at 90k through Ford.

The lift kills it for me, but maybe you’re ok with it. The Rap has abundant ground clearance and most of the lifts out there are just that - a lift, with no other thought given to the rest of the suspension, particularly once it’s stuffed with 37’s.

if it’s got good records, worth considering if that’s your price range.