Should I bother with a full cold air intake if I have a drop in filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Corsa Extreme exhaust on the way and I plan on a 93 tune in a few weeks. My truck came with a K&N drop in filter already installed, so my question is, should I bother with upgrading to a full intake kit before the tune or is it not worth it? My original plan was just to stick with the drop in filter but I wanted to make sure before the tune.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a K&N drop in in my 2014 at around 3000 miles but didn’t notice any difference. I swapped back to the factory filter for a trip to the beach so the K&N wouldn’t get full of sand and never switched back to the K&N. Your going to love the Cora’s Extreme exhaust.

Mark

Remoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CAI setup is noisy under the hood. I had a AFE CAI and had it on for a week, took it off and sold it. Hope its doing well for the new owner. Im getting too old for all that noise under the hood. I figured out real fast why they put that big box on top the throttle body.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason would be sound. You won’t gain anything HP wise.

^ this.. that being said, I have the aFe Magnum and it sure makes the engine sound better lol. almost as good as my wife's Jeep SRT.

get a tune though, I just got 2 new ones from 5 Star, the 91 and 94 perf.. truck definitely likes to party now lol!

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CAI setup is noisy under the hood. I had a AFE CAI and had it on for a week, took it off and sold it. Hope its doing well for the new owner. Im getting too old for all that noise under the hood. I figured out real fast why they put that big box on top the throttle body.

im old. But not giving away the whipple “noise under the hood”