Shock recharge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper

Reaction score
Could anyone give a roundabout price to bleed and refill gen1 shocks with nitrogen?

I have a quote for $30 a piece, I'm just curious if that's fair having never done this before.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to recharge them. If you do, they are leaking, and I'd suspect you need a rebuild.

I have a nitrogen setup for my rock crawler - same setup you'd use for the Raptor shocks. $30 each seems like a mighty fine profit for someone since airing up all four shocks would probably taking me a couple minutes. $120 for all four, or just invest a couple hundred in your own nitrogen setup... I'd just buy the setup.

But hey, if anyone around Denver wants to pay me $120 to air up their shocks, I'm in!

Why would you want to bleed them before refilling?

OP
OP
Trooper

Trooper

Reaction score
Well, I bought them used with about 10k miles on them. Before I slap them on I didn't know if it'd be smart to top them off.

Honestly, I'm new to this so I wasn't sure of the process. I just thought it sounded natural to take the old out and put fresh in. Dumb and dumber taught me, "out with bad air, in with the good."

So to answer your question about bleeding them, I plead ignorance. Ha

Thank you for answering my question though. $30 a shock seemed high to me as well.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I bought them used with about 10k miles on them. Before I slap them on I didn't know if it'd be smart to top them off.

Honestly, I'm new to this so I wasn't sure of the process. I just thought it sounded natural to take the old out and put fresh in. Dumb and dumber taught me, "out with bad air, in with the good."

So to answer your question about bleeding them, I plead ignorance. Ha

Thank you for answering my question though. $30 a shock seemed high to me as well.
Well, I have the whole setup for it, but I've never touched mine other than rebuilds. I'm about 99% confident nitrogen doesn't go bad. Obviously gas/oil gets purged and refilled during rebuilds, but that's it. If you have issues I think you need a rebuild. Otherwise, send it.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to recharge them. If you do, they are leaking, and I'd suspect you need a rebuild.

I have a nitrogen setup for my rock crawler - same setup you'd use for the Raptor shocks. $30 each seems like a mighty fine profit for someone since airing up all four shocks would probably taking me a couple minutes. $120 for all four, or just invest a couple hundred in your own nitrogen setup... I'd just buy the setup.

But hey, if anyone around Denver wants to pay me $120 to air up their shocks, I'm in!

Why would you want to bleed them before refilling?

Im also new to the whole rebuilding shocks vs just buying the ol $100 replacements lol.

What nitrogen setup do you have and are there any special tools needed for a diy guy ?

Jeff550

Reaction score
Im also new to the whole rebuilding shocks vs just buying the ol $100 replacements lol.

What nitrogen setup do you have and are there any special tools needed for a diy guy ?
You need schraders first off. then get a Guage https://forged-offroad.com/product/...ford-raptor-fox-oe-2-5-shocks/?v=f24485ae434a

Then you need to go to a welding supply shop the buy a Tank & regulator