Shock Rebuild Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low nitrogen PSI in rebuilds

I invested $310 in this nitrogen tank and regulator setup with no loss chuck to check the shock pressure of the forged off-road rebuilds installed 6,000 miles ago. The left rear shock was 152 psi, the right rear shock at 128, the left front at 122, the right front at 130. I set them all at 210 for now.

From what I could tell from related posts and youtube videos, Fox shocks should run between 200-240 psi. What I found on my shocks were the schrader valves were not tight and don't appear to have any thread locker or sealer, I tightened them gently so as not to strip them.

When I removed the no loss chuck from the first shock, the shrader valve started backing out resulting in loss of some nitrogen, so had to redo that shock. All were not tight/seated, so I suspect some nitrogen seepage from where the schraders screw into the shock.

Recommend checking your schrader valves are properly tightened if you have them, be careful not to over tighten/strip the threads.

tank.jpg

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks for sharing. thats pretty low after one oil change in my opinion.
maybe we need to check pressures every oil change at least.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received the new set of shocks. They came from different warehouses in California and Maryland. The fronts were in Motorcraft boxes that are 6" longer than the length of the shocks, with minimal paper packing, so the shocks got thrashed around in shipment. One threaded shaft was sticking out of the end about 2" when I picked them up. The rear set were each packed tightly in their boxes with bubble wrap. I can not say much for the Maryland warehouse shipper though. Their outer box was completely split down one end, all broke open, holes punched in it in several places, with torn and broken packaging tape. They must have been transported coast to coast off-road in a Raptor. The inner Motorcraft boxes that the shocks were in were mostly fine. No damage to any of the four shocks.

IMG_7905.1.jpg

IMG_7921.1.jpg

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Received the new set of shocks. They came from different warehouses in California and Maryland. The fronts were in Motorcraft boxes that are 6" longer than the length of the shocks, with minimal paper packing, so the shocks got thrashed around in shipment. One threaded shaft was sticking out of the end about 2" when I picked them up. The rear set were each packed tightly in their boxes with bubble wrap. I can not say much for the Maryland warehouse shipper though. Their outer box was completely split down one end, all broke open, holes punched in it in several places, with torn and broken packaging tape. They must have been transported coast to coast off-road in a Raptor. The inner Motorcraft boxes that the shocks were in were mostly fine. No damage to any of the four shocks.

how much did you pay for brand new.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score

off rock auto. thats amazing. dont let some other members know this information.
they think rock auto just sells plastic chinese parts in paper bags lololol.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had fox rebuild my old 3.0 and add the DSC it was about 4 weeks turn around time.
I thought that was reasonable.

This time I went with Kings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did adding the DSC make a reasonable difference at least to justify spending the extra money for them? what did the whole job cost you if you don't mind me asking I've tryied to call them and can't get through...

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IT was a very noticeable difference. Pricing depends on what all needs to be replaced / rebuilt.

I had to have a shaft and 3 shock bodies replaced so overall I paid around $2500 for the rebuilds and the dsc add on

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT was a very noticeable difference. Pricing depends on what all needs to be replaced / rebuilt.

I had to have a shaft and 3 shock bodies replaced so overall I paid around $2500 for the rebuilds and the dsc add on

Thanks. I've been debating on getting them added I'm just nervous the gain versus cost

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

I invested $310 in this nitrogen tank and regulator setup with no loss chuck to check the shock pressure of the forged off-road rebuilds installed 6,000 miles ago. The left rear shock was 152 psi, the right rear shock at 128, the left front at 122, the right front at 130. I set them all at 210 for now.

From what I could tell from related posts and youtube videos, Fox shocks should run between 200-240 psi. What I found on my shocks were the schrader valves were not tight and don't appear to have any thread locker or sealer, I tightened them gently so as not to strip them.

When I removed the no loss chuck from the first shock, the shrader valve started backing out resulting in loss of some nitrogen, so had to redo that shock. All were not tight/seated, so I suspect some nitrogen seepage from where the schraders screw into the shock.

Recommend checking your schrader valves are properly tightened if you have them, be careful not to over tighten/strip the threads.

View attachment 98096

What regulator set up did you use and how's the quality of the parts? I just got a bottle today wanting to find a good regulator the first time around that will last.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with Schmidty Racing regulator kit. You can build one cheaper, but this one was pretty good value for time and effort saved.

N-REG-UNI400-8R-W-0061
Uniweld 400PSI Gauge, Rubber Hose 8', Bleed-off, Whip, No Loss Chuck
$205.00

https://www.schmidtyracing.com/