Shock Rebuild Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilligan

Reaction score
Seems based off this thread rebuilds have a high fail rate so the money saved may not really be saved if they are getting 10k miles before issues. If oem shocks are in the $2500 range new what do the 3.0 cost?!

About double that give or take for 3.0’s. Any halfway decent shop should be able to rebuild shocks to like new condition. Lots of hacks out there right now though.

OP
OP
Bulletnjm

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my shocks rebuilt by Raptor Kustomz in Connecticut. I am dissapointed with the short life period of my rebuilds. If I where to do it again I would probably just buy new shocks from ford which I assume would come with some sort of warranty.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Seems based off this thread rebuilds have a high fail rate so the money saved may not really be saved if they are getting 10k miles before issues. If oem shocks are in the $2500 range new what do the 3.0 cost?!

We are seeing a lot more failures because every yahoo out there who said they could rebuild the shocks cheap are using cheap parts and don't really have the experience yet still charge a lot of money...

Established shops out there who have been doing this for a while and using genuine Fox parts are not having these issues.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i'd be willing to bet that most of the leaks are due to lost nitrogen charge. the top seals dont work right without that charge, and if the pellets are used more than once or twice, or a larger needle is used to charge them, they leak. i'd highly recommend putting shraeder valves in to eliminate that problem.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i'd be willing to bet that most of the leaks are due to lost nitrogen charge. the top seals dont work right without that charge, and if the pellets are used more than once or twice, or a larger needle is used to charge them, they leak. i'd highly recommend putting shraeder valves in to eliminate that problem.

Does this take a special shraeder valve?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does this take a special shraeder valve?

not especially, but the shock does need to be drilled and tapped for the the shraeder. i bought mine from schmidty suspension, and they werent cheap but rated for 300psi. i think like $60 for 8 valves, or something like that.

Biffler

Reaction score
If you get them rebuilt you must use a good reputable shop, this is key. Don't be cheap and pay the extra money to get them right and they will make sure it's right.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

A reputable shop with a decent rate is not the best sign as Raptor Kustomz has had a great reputation and has been doing it awhile.

I had my rear ICON RXT and ICON bump shocks rebuilt from a different very reputable shop and paid good money. The moment I opened the box when they came back, it didn't look right (they didn't even clean anything). Before installing them I was able to compress both of the rear shocks by hand. I immediately sent them back and had them redo both of them. I ended up eating more shipping to boot. Granted the delays pushed me into missing an event so I had to 2nd day them coming back. I will not use that shop again nor do I want to disclose the shop on a public forum. Privately if someone wants to talk about it, yeah.

Kostiuk

Reaction score
Add my name to the list of failures. Had mine rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago and while rotating the tires this weekend noticed all 4 leaking. Not sure what the hell to do now. I don't have 5 grand to drop on new shocks that I'll still have to rebuild somewhere down the road anyway. I'm thinking I'm just gonna rebuild them myself. Sounds like they should be good for a lot more miles than I got out of them.
Kevin K.

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to rebuild mine, been looking at the exchange program just don't want to drop a grand (i know it gets refunded, and see the reasoning behind it) been trying to get to a local shop to do it but they've been slammed and no time for it yet.