Shock rebuild in Wa state?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Sportyworty

Sportyworty

Reaction score
Thanks man!!! Glad they’re working out. Next weekend is looking good if you want to tackle the fronts
We made it happen !
Second date went as well as the first.
@Jhollowell had everything set up ready to go with regards to tools and jacks/stands. I followed his lead and was wrenching while he was rebuilding. We knocked it out and the truck drives Fantastic ! . Bit embarrassing to report that both rears and the left front had not charge in them at all so you can imagine the improvement lol
Another interesting observation while removing the left front shock assembly were 3 spark plug wires hanging disconnected. These lower plug boots had the terminal nut and tension cord of the spark plugs in them. They were pretty rusty when I pulled them out of the boots. We ran to the Auto parts store for plugs. I would be interested to hear what some of you think about that. How could that happen? The plugs were seated and had holes in the end from where they came apart. The truck gets great mileage for a Gen 1 and runs great. I did not notice any difference after install. I am not familiar with 16 plugs and how the firing works compared to my old Ford 428’s crazy stuff for me lol

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Ford’s 6.2-liter engine uses 16 spark plugs, two per cylinder. This is to better control the spark and ignition, as well as better fuel economy, performance, and emissions. However, Ford’s service manual is very specific about the spark plug removal and replacement method. If done improperly, it can lead to catastrophic engine failure or an engine maligned with issues from then on.

They probably broke apart over time. Might not have ever been replaced.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the 80'S the second plug was used to clean up exhaust gases. ( how it was explained to me) Fast forward to today. I couldn't say for sure. Things have changed so much in the wrench world. Glad to hear you got the shock stuff done!!!!

OP
OP
Sportyworty

Sportyworty

Reaction score
Im a happy camper Gumby, thanks.
Have drawer of old Autolite Plugs like BF32 42 etc and some rarer Star stamped Autolite original to Hipo 289 Boss 302 etc. We keep them never throw away valuable yet. Just have never seen a plug come apart like this but my restoration experience is pre electronic ignition.
Guess I better plan on doing the rest of them soon.