Shock jacket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. The shocks are most likely not being used enough to warm up to operating temps. I guess I'm just looking for optimal performance in all cases, but the shocks are probably performing how they are intended in severe offroad conditions and not light duty road use in winter. I could see highly sensitive shocks that feel great on the road would not have as great response in off road conditions unless they were like a magneride where the oil viscosity can be changed on the fly. I still think the jacket would be a cheap and temporary alternative. Just not sure if they would get up to temp with or without heat.

Unfortunately my useage is like 90% road use and 10% offroad use.
Gotcha. Well there are more products available than what I was aware of before this thread. Maybe you just need to make more detours off road when doing your daily commute!c91b869753ec84b04725f4ff9a5f0bcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wrong, its not temperature but humidity. High humidity seems to lubricating the joints and makes it buttery smooth, but as soon as it get dry and hot, there's some massive rebound shake from those sharper road bumps like sewer cap drops. Wish I could drop it in a oil bath. Guess I could spray something but can't see that lasting and probably cause faster wear.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's definitely a market for this, if not for winter operating temperature but for corrosion. MY GOD!!!! I went through an insane amount of extra effort to double coat the new replacement fox shocks with ceramic coating and 3m and just noticed around the lower perch mount some discoloration of rust after 18 mths!!! This is with 100% zero offroad use. I know because I've been unemployed this whole time. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU
That is insanity. There is no getting around just how horrific the salt on the winter roads are 100% acid!!!

Has anyone come across some sort of jacket for shocks? I can see 2 or 3 benefits to this.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck doesn't go out in the salt. I lost one nicely maintained 4WD Ford truck to the salt and rust- I'm not doing that again with this truck.

They put the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride in the salt mix now too- both are way worse than salt and corrode the hell out of any metal on a Ford truck.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck doesn't go out in the salt. I lost one nicely maintained 4WD Ford truck to the salt and rust- I'm not doing that again with this truck.

They put the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride in the salt mix now too- both are way worse than salt and corrode the hell out of any metal on a Ford truck.
Totally agree. Can't afford to have 3 trucks though, lightning is sealed in garage and won't touch it.

Some heavy powder coating might actually be possible since its just the body that gets damaged. The fully alluminum blue anodized parts never seem to have any corrosion on them what so ever. Which they did the body in that.