Shock jacket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has ever been produced or not but has anyone made some kind of thermal jacket for shocks? I've noticed in the winter time just how much more reactive my shocks are warmed up in the garage then sitting outside in -30c temperatures. Quite a drastic difference actually. I'm not sure if shocks naturally create their own heat or not or if this thermal jacket could possibly be heated some how. Might possibly help with the corrosion protection from the winter road salts too.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has ever been produced or not but has anyone made some kind of thermal jacket for shocks? I've noticed in the winter time just how much more reactive my shocks are warmed up in the garage then sitting outside in -30c temperatures. Quite a drastic difference actually. I'm not sure if shocks naturally create their own heat or not or if this thermal jacket could possibly be heated some how. Might possibly help with the corrosion protection from the winter road salts too.
Corrosion prevention is an interesting concept. As far as heat the shocks themselves heat up rapidly during use. Heat dissipation is always a large concern for any shock as too much heat causes cavitation (bubbles) in the shock oil and reduces performance. The basic idea is to reduce heat during use and not increase or keep them warm prior to use. It's an interesting idea though for those that may live in a very cold environment. My assumption is that a Raptor wouldn't necessarily be the best choice for their needs though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

schmeal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen Dirt Bagz? Its just a velcro attached shock jacket. I have them on my shocks primarily to protect the shaft and seals. The only downside is they rub the paint off the coils.

29997687103_97f55f4870_b.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

I've got these:

icon ford raptor shock wraps neoprene coil over shock cover

If you don't want ICON showing, you could turn them inside out but then it will be either green or yellow showing. I've gotten several sets and the inside color has been different. They get torn up and hard to stay on when off-roading. I've been using zip ties to keep them from falling off.

Dirt Bagz only fits up to a 2.5" shock so might work on the stockers.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corrosion prevention is an interesting concept. As far as heat the shocks themselves heat up rapidly during use. Heat dissipation is always a large concern for any shock as too much heat causes cavitation (bubbles) in the shock oil and reduces performance. The basic idea is to reduce heat during use and not increase or keep them warm prior to use. It's an interesting idea though for those that may live in a very cold environment. My assumption is that a Raptor wouldn't necessarily be the best choice for their needs though.

It would be interesting to see a test as to what temps they could reach in winter conditions. I would bet they don't reach the right temperature for optimal performance. Unless it's just something like cold bushings causing a stiff ride.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really noticeable difference today coming out of a warm garage. Rides like a limo for 1/2-1 hour then turn fairly solid. Wish someone had a test for this.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really noticeable difference today coming out of a warm garage. Rides like a limo for 1/2-1 hour then turn fairly solid. Wish someone had a test for this.
So many variables. I work with statistics some at work so I know it can be tough to get a direct data set about a specific topic you are trying to learn about. For example, when you drive are you driving on paved roads always? What are the conditions of those roads? When you drive off road does the ride improve during those cold times? The thought would be that if you are driving off road the shocks would be getting put through their full travel more frequently thus creating more friction, heat, and potentially better performance. Another possibility could be to contact Fox and see if there is an option for a shock fluid that would perform better at the lower temps you are experiencing.

07Alloy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will agree with the OP. My shocks are very noticeably different once fall and winter set in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Our mall is brand new, and the pavement is really nice, so I can't tell any difference.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many variables. I work with statistics some at work so I know it can be tough to get a direct data set about a specific topic you are trying to learn about. For example, when you drive are you driving on paved roads always? What are the conditions of those roads? When you drive off road does the ride improve during those cold times? The thought would be that if you are driving off road the shocks would be getting put through their full travel more frequently thus creating more friction, heat, and potentially better performance. Another possibility could be to contact Fox and see if there is an option for a shock fluid that would perform better at the lower temps you are experiencing.

That's a good point. The shocks are most likely not being used enough to warm up to operating temps. I guess I'm just looking for optimal performance in all cases, but the shocks are probably performing how they are intended in severe offroad conditions and not light duty road use in winter. I could see highly sensitive shocks that feel great on the road would not have as great response in off road conditions unless they were like a magneride where the oil viscosity can be changed on the fly. I still think the jacket would be a cheap and temporary alternative. Just not sure if they would get up to temp with or without heat.

Unfortunately my useage is like 90% road use and 10% offroad use.