GEN 2 Shifting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017. The shift from park to drive has become more pronounced Ofer the last couple of weeks. I have also noticed the truck downshifting more aggressively a few times while slowing. This is all happening in normal driving mode. Anyone else experience the same issues? If so what was the fix? Thanks.
Mine does this as well, Early 17 Build. It is on our list of Warranty stuff to get looked at.

MDD

Reaction score
I have an 18 and have had the tranny addressed under warranty a couple years ago. I forget details. Software updated? Took several hours. Shifting improved but 4-5 is still weird and sport mode is jerky in some cases but better than before. I wonder if all the Ford 10 speeds are as weird? My wife’s Jeep GC 8 speed is butter! I had a VW Touareg 8 speed, also butter! In my Rap definitely disappointed in the shifting but not a deal breaker.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
It seems to be getting worse and now is across several shifts. I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday. I don’t have a good feeling. Stay tuned.

coldvter

Reaction score
A few weeks back my truck started shifting real hard, and started hunting when in the top gears. Just for giggles I started monitoring my trans temp, and when the tranny started acting up the trans temp gauge wasn’t even reading. The temp would just drop to nothing. My dealer changed the trans temp sensor out and all is well so far.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
Took my truck today and there was a program update for the transmission. After the update the issues are gone. Hopefully this is a long term fix. Time will tell.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
I have a new shifting observation. Over the last several months I have noticed that the truck is very reluctant to downshift at low speeds. This causes a serious lag in responsiveness.
Example: I am rolling at 35mph under little if any throttle. The truck may still be in 6 gear or so. When I go to apply light throttle the truck will often stutter as if it does not know if it should downshift or kick in the turbos. I can force it to downshift by applying more throttle but it seems to lack the smoothness that I would expect.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have a new shifting observation. Over the last several months I have noticed that the truck is very reluctant to downshift at low speeds. This causes a serious lag in responsiveness.
Example: I am rolling at 35mph under little if any throttle. The truck may still be in 6 gear or so. When I go to apply light throttle the truck will often stutter as if it does not know if it should downshift or kick in the turbos. I can force it to downshift by applying more throttle but it seems to lack the smoothness that I would expect.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

you cannot get the stealership to completely eliminate this, but, as @FordTechOne suggested earlier, the transmission reprogramming does help significantly. They won’t do it if you ask for an update or ask them to put the latest calibration on. Instead, the tech will plug in - IDS(?) read what’s there, report it back as current, no problem found. The secret is to report to the service advisor “my truck shifts poorly, it won’t downshift properly, and sometimes shifts harshly”.

Then they will look for an issue, and the easiest / least disruptive fix is to reprogram TCM.

After delivery and for the first few months, I had this issue too. Normal mode, the truck will be in 10th gear as soon as 41-42mph. Once it’s there, it won’t leave 10th gear, until or unless you floor it and if you’re over 50mph, it absolutely will not downshift at all, instead it will dump all the boost it can at the problem until you let off the throttle. I know this because soon after purchase I was merging from US50 to I66E, 2 merge lanes combine into one before the interstate merge lane. I gave it some gas and nothing but a different sound, I floored it but same deal, no downshift. It took what seemed like forever to the around 70-75 people were traveling at on 66 and be able to pass the right lane turtles. I was able to replicate this at will. My fix was a pedal commander, but eventually someone posted on here about similar symptoms and after the 2nd visit to the service dept. I finally got them to update the TCM. Big improvement. Much more willing to downshift, now on long, slight uphill climbs, the truck drops to 9. It still jumps to 10th gear by 42mph, but if you vary the throttle a little sometimes it doesn’t and it’s a little less difficult to get out of that bog now. The one thing it didn’t really get was if I’m slowing to a stop in normal mode, I have to come to a complete stop -for at least 2-3 seconds- or the truck will take off in 3rd gear and it loves to use and hold 3rd gear for tight, 90 degree turns even if you’re going 5mph.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2017 does same thing. Harsh shift from P to D. Also harsh downshift, mostly to 3rd gear. I actually will often hear a “clunk” when it goes down to 3rd. First time I took it in they reprogrammed and it was fine. But then came back, now getting worse. I’m on the list for warranty transmission repair at a large dealership. Been a 5 week wait so far with no end in site. Dealer just told me they are getting to early July repairs. I love the truck but actually thinking of trading I because of this.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
After taking my truck in a couple of weeks ago for a few recall items my harsh shifting is back. Is there a chance they wiped out the reprogram that fixed my initial harsh shifting issues?