GEN 2 Shifting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
I have a 2017. The shift from park to drive has become more pronounced Ofer the last couple of weeks. I have also noticed the truck downshifting more aggressively a few times while slowing. This is all happening in normal driving mode. Anyone else experience the same issues? If so what was the fix? Thanks.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
May need to clear the adaptive tables. I accidentally shifted into drive before coming to a absolute complete stop one time and it started shifting hard. I reset the adaptive learning and shifted fine after. If you have forscan it’s easy to do.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
+1 @Antho Also make sure you don’t see any fluid leaking under the truck.

Is it only doing this when ‘cold’, that is, when the transmission is not up to operating temperature? This is normal. Lucille will shift hard enough to spill coffee from a half full grande mocha when not at op/temp.

I rather like the more noticeable downshift while slowing, and notice it sometimes myself.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
May need to clear the adaptive tables. I accidentally shifted into drive before coming to a absolute complete stop one time and it started shifting hard. I reset the adaptive learning and shifted fine after. If you have forscan it’s easy to do.
Thanks for the advice. I do not have forscan but I should be able to get the dealer to do this. The truck is still under warranty.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
+1 @Antho Also make sure you don’t see any fluid leaking under the truck.

Is it only doing this when ‘cold’, that is, when the transmission is not up to operating temperature? This is normal. Lucille will shift hard enough to spill coffee from a half full grande mocha when not at op/temp.

I rather like the more noticeable downshift while slowing, and notice it sometimes myself.
No leaking fluid. I will pay attention to see if it is only happening when the tranny fluid is cold. Thanks.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all trying to be condescending, Matt, but did you accidentally hit the tow/haul button? I know you said 'normal' driving mode, just double checking that one.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2017 always had weird shifting and seemed like resetting the adaptive learning fixed it for a bit. My wifes 2020 expedition shifts insanely smooth and made me go test drive a 2019 Raptor. My 2019 raptor shifts way better than the 2017 did. I see you had the valve body replaced but wonder if there is a TCM strategy update?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2017. The shift from park to drive has become more pronounced Ofer the last couple of weeks. I have also noticed the truck downshifting more aggressively a few times while slowing. This is all happening in normal driving mode. Anyone else experience the same issues? If so what was the fix? Thanks.
What is the build date of your truck? There is a transmission software calibration update for trucks built on or before 8/1/2017.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What is the build date of your truck? There is a transmission software calibration update for trucks built on or before 8/1/2017.

I got this, and confirm it does help the early 2017’s all around. I still have the rough shift into drive --when the truck is below operating temp-- but shifting is much improved strategy wise and it’s more driver friendly. Not perfect, but an improvement for sure.