Shifting into Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
policedutchdog

policedutchdog

Reaction score
Just a quick up date. Picked up the truck this afternoon and the Ford dealer was able reset the pcm/tcm and update the new shifting software. I guess the sequence involved is temperature sensitive so they had do it twice before it was all set. Now she works and shifts perfect. Thank you all for the assistance. Love the forum for all its help and information.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was leaving a local brewery tonight ( No judgment, I was only buying for future consumption! ) jumped in, started truck, and pretty quickly went park to drive. It was decidedly not smooth. Idle was fairly low, and the truck was still warm, only down about 10 minutes, but normally I warm up the truck remotely.

If I can break out my tablet I’ll fire up FORSCAN and make use of it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed a long delay when going from reverse to drive and vice versa. Like a couple of seconds sometimes. I wonder if it's the same problem. I don't hit the gas until I feel the tranny engage, but I bet if I did hit it early it would bang when it finally engaged. I'll have to try it and see. It would be nice to fix it if I can. I figured it was just a byproduct of all the damn computers and thus normal operation.

Klay23

Reaction score
I’ve had a little bit of this as well. Happened twice in the last month. Pretty violent but seems like no ill affects at the moment. I do have an appointment to see the transmission guy at Ford Thursday to check it out though.

mine were as I was pulling into a spot and over shot it a foot or so and was just backing up that foot. Really hard shifts going into reverse. Shook the truck

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
Just got my truck back after 4 days at my local dealer. The transmission valve body had to be replaced. Seems to shift well now.

KH4

Reaction score
Just got my truck back after 4 days at my local dealer. The transmission valve body had to be replaced. Seems to shift well now.

Can I ask what yours was doing specifically? Mine has the newest PCM and TCM update. I have the "Clunk" engagement from Park to Drive Only. Also noticed a few harsh down shift in low gears. Dealer stated it could be Valve Body.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use my remote when walking to the car. Fire it up and it allows the engine to get 5-10 seconds of run time before I get in and drive away. Reduces that temptation to start and go. That has seem to cure “most” cold issues on my cars, plus it makes me feel like I care. I am so old school at times

Seartrip

Reaction score
I had this very intermittently in the past, and tried the Ford trans updates but it was only temporary and would always come back. I installed the Cobb TCM tune and perfect ever since. So to me, this is programming related.

So better trans operation and issue fixed- a win-win