Shifting into Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

policedutchdog

Reaction score
So I have been having issues with a hard shift when putting the truck into drive and after searching the forum I took the truck to Ford dealer to have the pcm updated in hopes of correction the issue. After 2 days no such luck. The trans shifts fine after placed into drive, it’s just that initial shift into drive. Is their another solution to this issue.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been having issues with a hard shift when putting the truck into drive and after searching the forum I took the truck to Ford dealer to have the pcm updated in hopes of correction the issue. After 2 days no such luck. The trans shifts fine after placed into drive, it’s just that initial shift into drive. Is their another solution to this issue.

the keep alive memory (kam) needs reset. If you have forscan you can reset adaptive transmission learning or I have heard pulling negative battery cable for 10 min does it, jury is still out from what I read.

I reset mine via forscan and it lasted for 8,000 miles or so and recently did it again. No lurch when putting it in gear.

some have had transmission valves/pumps replaced, I’d try the kam reset first.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Are you shifting into drive immediately after a cold start? If the engine is on high idle, you’re going to get somewhat of a harsh engagement since the trans has to pull the engine speed down.

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a mustang with the 10spd that would BANG into drive when cold (engine had idled down), especially from R to D but sometimes just into D. Sometimes there was also a delay before it would finally drop into drive.

Im not sure what they did when you say PCM update but the fix for me was for them to reset the computer for the trans, never did it again after that.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Need to reset the adaptive learning tables and do the drive cycle. If you have forscan you can do it or take it to the dealer. See attached procedure if you can/decide to do it yourself.

Attachments

• adaptive learning drive cycle.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
policedutchdog

policedutchdog

Reaction score
I normally let it sit for a minute before shifting it into drive or reverse but I can't remember if that's the case all the time. The Ford Tech did say that it is shifting into drive a little harder than it should but going to check today to see if the procedure was followed. I'm a bit concerned about it being a long term issue and if it will have any effect on the trans itself.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
I second (or 3rd) doing a reset. Mine would BANG the 1-2 shift obnoxiously. I reset the KAM for the PCM and TCM, and its been butter ever since

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a goosetune with just the standard Cobb TCM tune and the truck really feels alive now.
@wgr73 can help you out and is great to work with!

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you park on a flat or incline?