Shifting in sports mode is a bit harsh or am I missing something???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troubleman

Reaction score
Greetings Raptor family, I’m noticing some odd shifting out of my Gen 3. Ive been noticing it since the beginning but didn’t know if it was just me driving it like a granny. I’ll try my best to explain what I’m experiencing..so while driving in sport mode truck seems to be more aggressive than normal Mode but nothing to write home about The biggest difference I notice is it being a bit more nimble and obviously better sounding exhaust. The issues are that when I begin to break when the engine is reved a bit higher get crazy clunks and sevearal times what feels I’ve been rear ended... to the point I literally pulled over into a parking lot to ensure that it wasn’t a hit and run situation ( that was the first time it happened] every time after that I literally have to ease on the brakes in a over babying type of way to prevent from getting this type of reaction from the vehicle in traffic with decent movement (40-55 mph). Another thing that I get is what seems to be the engine revving when I attempt to break....I’ve never experienced this with any vehicle and obviously it’s my first raptor to any insight would be great. This may just be me too but I do know this isn’t a lighting fast vehicle no pun intended but this baby is a bit lazy I literally got owned by a Subaru just trying to get in a turning lane, the guy didn’t want me to get in and I didn’t even have enough kick to get in and over...that may be my driving LOL but I’ve never had an issue with even my slow Land cruiser. Guys let me have it tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Prolly should‘ve posted in this thread…

@DMM_78 …make it 37 pages! Wasn’t hard to find your companion. Must be a slow night, eh! Lol

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting - my 2017 Raptor does that too (among other annoying things transmission wise). It revs on almost every downshift when braking (also if coasting on hilly back roads). I've had it for about 6 months finally took it into the dealer (again) after it began getting too clunky in general regardless of the mode. My first Raptor too - I thought I bought a beautiful used lemon. Now I'm beginning to wonder since you've got a new gen 3 :confused:

hpschrank

Reaction score
I believe the “revving” in each downshift is the transmission “rev matching” the engine and transmission as it downshifts. I noticed my Gen 3 does this as well but I took it to be normal operation in Sport mode?? What say others?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe the “revving” in each downshift is the transmission “rev matching” the engine and transmission as it downshifts. I noticed my Gen 3 does this as well but I took it to be normal operation in Sport mode?? What say others?
Correct. Normal operation and same as a Gen 2. The transmission downshifts for engine braking and to keep the engine speed up for subsequent acceleration.