Shifter Lever Unlocks & Moves, BUT Tranny Doesn't Engage???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last few months, I've had a strange occurrence happen 3x on me, and I can't figure out what is going on. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same issue????

I've got 94k miles on my truck, but it runs like a dream(for the most part), especially after adding my COBB tuner(from Goosetuned) with Stage 2 and the TCM programming. Over the last few months, I've had it happen where I start the truck, shift the lever into "R" or "D" securely and my truck shifts from park into Neutral, and just starts free rolling. It seems to me like an electronic issue because I will put it back into Park, shut the truck off, turn it back on after a few minutes of it being off, then try it again and the tranny engages immediately as though nothing is wrong. Drives fine as well. Happens maybe 1x every 3-8 weeks. When it happens, I get no Error codes or anything showing up wrong with the computer......very odd and annoying.

Anyone have any ideas? @FordTechOne ?? @GooseTuned ??

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the trans/ECU flash was not allowed to fully complete. Mine did it a couple times years ago until I figured it out. Try a full reflash of the engine & trans with the Cobb AP and make SURE to wait at least 30 seconds before starting vehicle.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Are you starting the truck and immediately shifting into gear? You have got to wait about 30 seconds ish before you shift. Electronics need to boot up and transmission.

As already stated. Flash back to stock, drive for a few miles then reflash the tune. Connect a battery charger when you flash both ways (giggity).

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the trans/ECU flash was not allowed to fully complete. Mine did it a couple times years ago until I figured it out. Try a full reflash of the engine & trans with the Cobb AP and make SURE to wait at least 30 seconds before starting vehicle.
I was thinking it may have to do with the tune. Never had it happen before. I’ll uninstall and reinstall to see if that works. I usually wait at least 5 seconds after starting truck to shift since it first happened, but will work on waiting longer in the future.

Thanks all!