SHIFTER ISSUE - Truck won't go into park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prestex

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been doing some research on the issue but so far I havent found a clear answer on how to fix it. Im sure I could I replace the whole shifter but I'm hoping to find a simpler, and cheaper solution if possible.

So, a while back I parked my truck at the house and I came out the next morning and it was dead. After checking the alternator and battery I realized that the dash lights weren't going off after shutting the truck down. Then after a little more research I found that when I put the truck in park, the orange P light doesn't light up indicating its in park, therefore the truck doesnt think its in park and the dash stays on. All the other lights come on when shifting into R, or D.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any advice on how to fix it would really be appreciated as I would like to avoid putting in the shop if I can take care of it myself.

On a side note, I am also having an issue with all the lights on my dash going come on that was the result of me going up a steep hill at the ranch and kicking up a few rocks which I think knocked a sensor or something loose underneath. When I start the truck I get a brake system warning light, a suspension warning of some kind(ill have to check on what exactly it is), as well as a few other little warning lights which I just clear. It doesn't effect how it drives so this is secondary to the first issue but if anyone has suggestions on this as well please let me know.

Thanks guys.

weaponized

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been doing some research on the issue but so far I havent found a clear answer on how to fix it. Im sure I could I replace the whole shifter but I'm hoping to find a simpler, and cheaper solution if possible.

So, a while back I parked my truck at the house and I came out the next morning and it was dead. After checking the alternator and battery I realized that the dash lights weren't going off after shutting the truck down. Then after a little more research I found that when I put the truck in park, the orange P light doesn't light up indicating its in park, therefore the truck doesnt think its in park and the dash stays on. All the other lights come on when shifting into R, or D.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any advice on how to fix it would really be appreciated as I would like to avoid putting in the shop if I can take care of it myself.

On a side note, I am also having an issue with all the lights on my dash going come on that was the result of me going up a steep hill at the ranch and kicking up a few rocks which I think knocked a sensor or something loose underneath. When I start the truck I get a brake system warning light, a suspension warning of some kind(ill have to check on what exactly it is), as well as a few other little warning lights which I just clear. It doesn't effect how it drives so this is secondary to the first issue but if anyone has suggestions on this as well please let me know.

Thanks guys.
Have you figured this out? I have a similar problem....park light doesn't work, battery draining, and instrument lights staying on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: