Shift Delayed, Pull Forward 2012 SCREW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMBoondocker

Reaction score
2012 Roush Raptor SCREW.

Will not shift into 4x4 hi or lo
No grinding, no popping from IWEs or Transfer Case
Checked vacuum at IWE solenoid and even bypassed solenoid to confirm IWEs are working
Received a check 4x4 when trying to shift to 4hi or lo.

This week I replaced the transfer case motor/servo and still no 4x4. No water in the wiring harness even though I drove through a big rainstorm 3 weeks ago.
I now receive a "shift in progress" and then a "shift delayed, pull forward" message. Still no 4x4 hi or lo. With the truck off and moving the switch to 4x4 hi, I can hear a hum underneath by the t-case. Switch it back and the hum goes away. I assume this is the servo trying to move the shaft.

I checked the third brake light and it's dry and looks good. I also gave the wiring underneath a once over and nothing looked out of place. On the interior fuse panel, I checked fuse #34 (Reverse sensing system, 4x4 switch, Rear video, Off road indicator). In the power distribution box, I checked fuse #20 (4x4 module), #29 4x4 IWE solenoid, #54 Run/start - 4x4 module, etc. and #68 4x4 module.

I crawled back underneath and took the transfer case motor off and was able to turn the shaft that sticks out counter clockwise with channel locks. Turning clockwise was very difficult but I did manage to move it. I could not move the shaft very far in either direction since my channel locks limited my range of motion. I couldn't find anything about which way to turn the shaft to engage 4x4 and I didn't want to unnecessarily bend anything in the t-case.

Just googling my fault displayed indicates that a transfer gear tooth blockage is present and to pull forward 5 feet and try again. My basic code reader does not display any codes.

Anyone out there have insight?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2012 Roush Raptor SCREW.

Will not shift into 4x4 hi or lo
No grinding, no popping from IWEs or Transfer Case
Checked vacuum at IWE solenoid and even bypassed solenoid to confirm IWEs are working
Received a check 4x4 when trying to shift to 4hi or lo.

This week I replaced the transfer case motor/servo and still no 4x4. No water in the wiring harness even though I drove through a big rainstorm 3 weeks ago.
I now receive a "shift in progress" and then a "shift delayed, pull forward" message. Still no 4x4 hi or lo. With the truck off and moving the switch to 4x4 hi, I can hear a hum underneath by the t-case. Switch it back and the hum goes away. I assume this is the servo trying to move the shaft.

I checked the third brake light and it's dry and looks good. I also gave the wiring underneath a once over and nothing looked out of place. On the interior fuse panel, I checked fuse #34 (Reverse sensing system, 4x4 switch, Rear video, Off road indicator). In the power distribution box, I checked fuse #20 (4x4 module), #29 4x4 IWE solenoid, #54 Run/start - 4x4 module, etc. and #68 4x4 module.

I crawled back underneath and took the transfer case motor off and was able to turn the shaft that sticks out counter clockwise with channel locks. Turning clockwise was very difficult but I did manage to move it. I could not move the shaft very far in either direction since my channel locks limited my range of motion. I couldn't find anything about which way to turn the shaft to engage 4x4 and I didn't want to unnecessarily bend anything in the t-case.

Just googling my fault displayed indicates that a transfer gear tooth blockage is present and to pull forward 5 feet and try again. My basic code reader does not display any codes.

Anyone out there have insight?

It's not SUPER helpful, but I see you checked your IWEs. Are they engaging when the 4x4 (transfer case) fails to engage? In other words, in failed 4x4, are your front axles spinning?

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet your replacement tcase shifter motor is weak. Where did you get the replacement?

OP
OP
NMBoondocker

NMBoondocker

Reaction score
Dane - I went out and checked the front driveshaft with the truck off. I cannot turn it. I turned the truck on and checked it again. I can turn it. I shifted to 4hi and can still turn the front driveshaft. That was the "failed 4x4" as you referred to it.

Sernas - I got it from Dorman via Amazon. The box shows what looks like a legit Dorman product 600-571.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Tim

OP
OP
NMBoondocker

NMBoondocker

Reaction score
Sernas - in addition to what I wrote above, is this a common problem? I guess I can plop down the money and get an OEM motorcraft one but am hesitant to just throw another part at it. However, i did read other reviews of Dorman's shift motors and they aren't good.

Thanks,

Tim

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dane - I went out and checked the front driveshaft with the truck off. I cannot turn it. I turned the truck on and checked it again. I can turn it. I shifted to 4hi and can still turn the front driveshaft. That was the "failed 4x4" as you referred to it.

Sernas - I got it from Dorman via Amazon. The box shows what looks like a legit Dorman product 600-571.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Tim
Strange. In this day of computer controlled widgetry, maybe the T-case failure is stopping the IWE engagement, but my gut thinks they should be separate. With the IWEs engaged, you shouldn't be able to turn the driveshaft, so that makes me think they are NOT engaging. Maybe your failure is further upstream somehow - though I'm failing to see where, especially with the hum you are hearing from the T-case. I know that doesn't help much, wish I knew more, but the IWEs not engaging is odd to me.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Dorman motor on mine. This is the second Dorman motor first one was replaced after it also went out only after about a month of being installed. So that could be a possibility. I would try to swap it

OP
OP
NMBoondocker

NMBoondocker

Reaction score
Dane - I went out and took the vacuum lines off the IWE's. As before, I could not turn the front driveshaft. I moved the switch to 4hi and it still would not engage the transfer case. I tried driving back and forth in the driveway but no dice.

OP
OP
NMBoondocker

NMBoondocker

Reaction score
I have 2h, 4h and 4l again. Once my boys got home from school, I had them operate the switch while I was underneath. I could hear the motor buzzing when the switch was in 4h. I took the motor off and it was operating back and forth as it should. I moved the transfer case selector shaft and confirmed it operated fine in the same direction. I put it back on and didn't put any bolts in. When 4h was selected the motor moved but i was able to hold it in position. Back to 2h and it did the same. I slide a couple bolts in to hold it and moved it back and forth at least 5 times. I bolted it back up and it buzzed again. WTF. This time I barely put a snug on the bolts and it shifted back and forth. I can't believe I was putting so much torque on the bolts to prevent proper operation but who knows. I am usually pretty conscious of such things.
I'll try to look up the torque spec and maybe throw some loc-tite on it tomorrow but for now all seems to be working as it should.

Thanks for being a sounding board. Maybe this will help some poor sap in the future.

- Tim