GEN 2 Shift control cable replacement instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Does anyone know of instructions on how to replace the shifter cable? I'm almost 100% sure the clip on mine broke and need to replace it. I can still get it into gear but have have to manually release the lock out through the center console and things are not lining up IE P=R, D=N Etc. Waiting for it to cool down some now before I go look it all over

Long story short, dealer did the front timing cover reseal under warranty which is a body off frame job. They broke the cable lifting the body off and admitting replacing it with a used cable. Truck is out of warranty now and those idiots will never touch it again as they have messed something up every time it has gone there.

Other local dealership is not open on weekends so have to wait till Monday to call them to see if they would cover the repairs the other dealership ****** up. It looks to be an easy enough part to swap that I should be able to knock out in my shop myself but like to have some form of instructions to follow just in case.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of instructions on how to replace the shifter cable? I'm almost 100% sure the clip on mine broke and need to replace it. I can still get it into gear but have have to manually release the lock out through the center console and things are not lining up IE P=R, D=N Etc. Waiting for it to cool down some now before I go look it all over

Long story short, dealer did the front timing cover reseal under warranty which is a body off frame job. They broke the cable lifting the body off and admitting replacing it with a used cable. Truck is out of warranty now and those idiots will never touch it again as they have messed something up every time it has gone there.

Other local dealership is not open on weekends so have to wait till Monday to call them to see if they would cover the repairs the other dealership ****** up. It looks to be an easy enough part to swap that I should be able to knock out in my shop myself but like to have some form of instructions to follow just in case.
Wait. Don't get to mad. You got a bad dealer. Hopefully, tell the next dealer, which hopefully is a good one, what happened. If they won't ask Ford to cover it than you contact Ford directly. You shouldn't have to do extra work on your part when a bad dealer messed it up.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are still a few good people at $tealerships... problem is there seem to only be a few good people at $tealerships. Definitely not enough to spread evenly amongst them. Doesn't matter the brand these days, for every good person seems to be four more there that are not. I currently own American, Japanese, and German.

What does the youtube guy say? "Change my mind".

OP
OP
Drgonzo3000

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
The other dealership which I started going to after the shit show the original one caused is not open on weekends and is a 40 min drive away cause I live way outside of town. I only go to the dealership for major work or warranty/recall stuff. Minor stuff like this I will easily do at home on my own.

I understand that the first one was shit and not all are like that. Just don't have the time to deal with being down my DD for a few days, logistics, etc for something I can do in my shop myself in probably an hour.

BTW The issue was the clip to secure the cable to the trans had come undone. IDK if they just didn't secure it all the way or if it's just worn form being a used part. I have a new one on order to keep handy just in case I need to swap it out. Just prefer to have instructions to follow.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Timing cover reseal is not a cab removal repair. If the dealer removed the cab (I have removed a lot of cabs) for timing cover reseal they are retarded.

OP
OP
Drgonzo3000

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Timing cover reseal and plastic oil pan fix #8. Told it was cab off after I confronted them about the disaster they left my light wiring harness and how my power cable for my stereo was all messed up.