Sherpa Roof Racks Installed On Cab and RSI Smartcap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trentp

Reaction score
I just finished installing the Sherpa Storm rack on my truck as well as their Crows Nest rack on my shell (RSI SmartCap). It was a bit intimidating drilling holes in the roof of my brand new truck. I found that I didn’t love the look of where the front of the wind fairing on the rack met my roof (mostly because of the white, on a black or lead foot truck it wouldn’t bother me) so I ended up installing a 57” KC Highlights Gravity Pro 6 light bar.

Also the RSI Smartcap is a bit narrower than the cab of the truck, and it tapers to a narrower width at the back of the cap so the Crows Nest rack not only extended past the sides of the cap, but it interfered with the side windows when they are flipped up. What I ended up doing to resolve this was marking the width that would clear the windows and dropping a chock line at the angle of the cap, then I cut and re tapped each cross bar. It was a bit of extra work but now the rack fits perfectly and both side windows are able to open fully without hitting the rack.

Overall I’m happy with how it turned out, both look and functionality wise as I now have over 11ft of flat storage space on top of the truck for whatever may need to go up there (I have a fly fishing raft I plan on transporting up there, as well as any lumber runs for future projects around the house). The only downside is there is a fair bit of wind noise from the KC lights on the front when driving 70+mph. They sure are bright though!

BFC972F9-633A-49F9-9CEC-1A8AC23AAD7D.jpeg9306504F-B0C9-4C03-AF85-FF4906E62FC2.jpeg9B5BBB3C-5159-4DCE-AD64-1A85BF825986.jpeg9FF761FE-C80F-4522-9228-7B2676AB91BA.jpegCC689E1F-AB33-4008-BB08-434E24345F26.jpeg

Last edited:

Bruichladdie

Reaction score
First post on the site but I have a Smart cap and should be picking up my gen 3 on Friday. Do you have a front level on it at all? Looking to do a 2.25 RPG front level and throw the 2" spring spacers on the rear to help with the sag from the added weight.

OP
OP
trentp

trentp

Reaction score
First post on the site but I have a Smart cap and should be picking up my gen 3 on Friday. Do you have a front level on it at all? Looking to do a 2.25 RPG front level and throw the 2" spring spacers on the rear to help with the sag from the added weight.

I do have the 1.5in RPG collars on the front, I am going to add spring spacers on the rear as well now that I have all the added weight back there.

DezRaceSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trent, The truck looks really good with the cap and sherpa rack and the lights top it off. I just picked up my gen 3 last month and have been looking for a shell and upper rack. I'm leaning more towards your setup now minus the above cab rack. I see the FreedomFox in the background, love watching your YouTube videos.

Bruichladdie

Reaction score
I do have the 1.5in RPG collars on the front, I am going to add spring spacers on the rear as well now that I have all the added weight back there.
Good deal, I just ordered 2.25 RPG collars and a 1 inch rear spacer from Foutz. Waiting on the 37s and I'll be golden.

Attachments

• 20220320_144857.jpg
    20220320_144857.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220320_144910.jpg
    20220320_144910.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
trentp

trentp

Reaction score
Trent, The truck looks really good with the cap and sherpa rack and the lights top it off. I just picked up my gen 3 last month and have been looking for a shell and upper rack. I'm leaning more towards your setup now minus the above cab rack. I see the FreedomFox in the background, love watching your YouTube videos.
Thanks man! And you wont regret the Smartcap, I have been super happy with it.

Bruichladdie

Reaction score
Thanks man! And you wont regret the Smartcap, I have been super happy with it.
Thanks bud! I'm assuming you're Trent Palmer on youtube, I loved your dealership direct to the dirt video! I flew some DA40's while in college but wish I could get in it like you! Clean truck as well man.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's nothing like the quality of the Smartcaps! We're pretty consistent with having some in stock and are the #1 dealer for Smartcaps in the US. Don't hesitate to reach out when you're ready to get one!