Sherpa Roof Racks Installed On Cab and RSI Smartcap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
trentp

trentp

Reaction score
Thanks bud! I'm assuming you're Trent Palmer on youtube, I loved your dealership direct to the dirt video! I flew some DA40's while in college but wish I could get in it like you! Clean truck as well man.

Yep, thats me, thanks man!!

jcwhancock

Reaction score
I just finished installing the Sherpa Storm rack on my truck as well as their Crows Nest rack on my shell (RSI SmartCap). It was a bit intimidating drilling holes in the roof of my brand new truck. I found that I didn’t love the look of where the front of the wind fairing on the rack met my roof (mostly because of the white, on a black or lead foot truck it wouldn’t bother me) so I ended up installing a 57” KC Highlights Gravity Pro 6 light bar.

Also the RSI Smartcap is a bit narrower than the cab of the truck, and it tapers to a narrower width at the back of the cap so the Crows Nest rack not only extended past the sides of the cap, but it interfered with the side windows when they are flipped up. What I ended up doing to resolve this was marking the width that would clear the windows and dropping a chock line at the angle of the cap, then I cut and re tapped each cross bar. It was a bit of extra work but now the rack fits perfectly and both side windows are able to open fully without hitting the rack.

Overall I’m happy with how it turned out, both look and functionality wise as I now have over 11ft of flat storage space on top of the truck for whatever may need to go up there (I have a fly fishing raft I plan on transporting up there, as well as any lumber runs for future projects around the house). The only downside is there is a fair bit of wind noise from the KC lights on the front when driving 70+mph. They sure are bright though!

View attachment 346177View attachment 346178View attachment 346179View attachment 346182View attachment 346183

jcwhancock

Reaction score
I’m thinking of installing the same set up. Have the RSI on order and should be delivered in a month. Are you pleased with the set up or would you make any changes?. I need to decide on which rack to get. I have a black truck so probably won’t install the lights but would appreciate your input.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, thats me, thanks man!!
Couple of questions on the rack:

1.) I noticed you have a sunroof, is there any difference in weight limits between roof styles (with or without the sunroof)? How much weight do you intend to put on the rack regularly?
2.) Do you notice any connectivity issues with Sirius XM and/or GPS given that the rack covers the antennas at certain angles?
3.) With the KC hilites is there any hood glare when the lights are on? If so, how bad is it?

I'm looking to do the exact same setup (mines an Oxford White as well) but you might be the first I've seen with this rack specifically on a Gen 3 so there aren't too many who can answer these questions.. Thanks and great looking whip!

MrBuddha

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the Prinsu rack that I installed on my cap. It fits virtually perfect...the rack height is low, and the width is on-point. When you open the side/wing doors, the clearance between the door and the rack is tight.

Prinsu Rack Door Tolerance.jpg

OP
OP
trentp

trentp

Reaction score
I’m thinking of installing the same set up. Have the RSI on order and should be delivered in a month. Are you pleased with the set up or would you make any changes?. I need to decide on which rack to get. I have a black truck so probably won’t install the lights but would appreciate your input.
I really like this setup, I did have to cut down the cross bars on the rack for the Smartcap but I love the functionality. The only thing I’m not a huge fan of is the wind noise I get from the lights, but I tolerate it.

OP
OP
trentp

trentp

Reaction score
Couple of questions on the rack:

1.) I noticed you have a sunroof, is there any difference in weight limits between roof styles (with or without the sunroof)? How much weight do you intend to put on the rack regularly?
2.) Do you notice any connectivity issues with Sirius XM and/or GPS given that the rack covers the antennas at certain angles?
3.) With the KC hilites is there any hood glare when the lights are on? If so, how bad is it?

I'm looking to do the exact same setup (mines an Oxford White as well) but you might be the first I've seen with this rack specifically on a Gen 3 so there aren't too many who can answer these questions.. Thanks and great looking whip!

I don’t believe there’s any difference in the payload capacity with the sun roof vs without. I haven’t put all that much weight up there, the main thing I use it for is a fly fishing raft which weighs about 170lbs. I have no doubt it would be fine with 300+lbs up there.

I haven’t noticed any change in the antennas signal but I normally use my phone for music and navigation.

The KC Highlights are honestly not that great in my opinion, they cast a lot of light on the windshield so it’s almost distracting. The Baja Designs bar I have in my bumper is way nicer for just putting out light. I do run both at night off-road since I have both though. Also the KCs make quite a bit of wind noise which I’m not fond of. At this point the KCs are mainly still on there because I like the look of them, haha.

Attachments

• 96419059-C35E-4372-97B1-64805D05D0E5.jpeg
    96419059-C35E-4372-97B1-64805D05D0E5.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 25