Shelby Baja Raptor worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracer00

Reaction score
I'm hoping the good folks on this forum can help me out with some opinions and knowledge. I have a small deposit on a 2022 Raptor, dealer stock, coming sometime in the very near future. It was supposed to be this week but I'm not hearing much from the dealership and my patience has run out. Truthfully I'm itching to get into a new raptor and I'm at the point where I could be convinced to do something I normally would not do....like spend 120k on a truck. This morning I started calling around again to see if I can find something more immediate even if i had to pay some ADM. I found zero available raptors at any dealership for any price and the only option is ordering and also paying 25k or so in ADM. What I did find is a Shelby Baha Raptor that I can drive off the lot today for 125k which is WAY more than I was planning on spending but it is offset a little b/c I'll be getting a very good trade value on my Gen 2. Financially, bottom line is I can afford it BUT I just don't know if I want to shell out this kind of money for a daily driver; it's not like I'll be keeping this thing in a garage all year. Also, it's not lost on me that at that price point there are a lot of really nice vehicle options other than a Shelby Raptor. So my question is what are your thoughts on the Shelby Baja Raptor? Is it just a collection of bolt on parts that Shelby threw together or is it actually worth the added cost? Would any of you make the same decision to buy a Shelby if in the same situation? Stop me from doing something stupid if you think this is a bonehead move; I'm too blinded by desire to tell for myself right now.

PVRAP

Reaction score
I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. Could not locate a loaded in stock or transit 37 without a $15k+ markup.. and considered a blacked out Shelby at MSRP as it seemed like better value than paying $100k for a 37.

There were a lot of things I liked about the Shelby, but the chase rack and tires in the bed kind of killed it for me. Couldn't get over them.

I'd say stay patient and keep calling around to dealerships. I finally found one earlier this week at $5k over that will be delivered in 3 weeks.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not worth it IMO. Those trucks aren’t even built by Shelby, they’re upfitted by Tuscany in Indiana. You’re basically paying $50k for Shelby badging, a tune, 37” tires, and a hack BDS suspension lift. And on top of all that, any powertrain failure (engine, trans, axles, etc) is only warrantied for 3yr/36k through Shelby due to the modifications. Not to mention the depreciation hit due to it being an aftermarket package.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
The Shelby Raptor is a bunch of trim and some not that great bolt ons. You could buy better parts for less money on your Gen 2.

Why do you want a Gen 3 vs the 2 you have? I was looking at them and was in your same shoes. Almost threw money down on a Gen 3 37, almost bought a Gen 2 Shelby Raptor. In the end I decided to stick with my Gen 2. Honestly the only thing I liked about the 3 was the rear suspension. But I can add that to my Gen 2 for less then the price difference getting into a Gen 3. I also looked at a new Saleen and Roush F150s instead, but my Gen 2 won out.

Really comes down to what you want to do with the truck.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fall for the Shelby. It's a lot of bolt on parts and unless you love everything they did, you could do it your way for a lot less.

Have you tried cars.com as a resource? I found several in a quick search using 15213 zip code and found 47 Raptors within 250 miles of you. They have ADM, but it's not crazy like some I've seen. I'm sure some listings are old/sold, but some appear to still be available.

1647012577246.png

OP
OP
speedracer00

speedracer00

Reaction score
Thank you guys for helping me stay grounded on this one. Nex to answer your question about why a Gen 3 over my Gen 2... want the upgraded suspension, the interior is nicer in my opinion and from what I've read ford has tuned the engine a lot better on the Gen 3 so it's more responsive and feels more powerful than the gen 2 (several other minor things like the camera that shows me the bed). My gen 2 is a 2018 so it doesn't have the latest live valve shocks either and overall I kinda saw the Gen 3 as a pretty good upgrade and value. The Shelby gives me nothing that I really want over and above those few upgrades that listed. Glad you asked me that question because it really puts things in perspective and essentially buying a Shelby is the same as paying a huge ADM in my case.

I think I'm going to sit and wait; maybe make more calls and keep hunting.

I owe you guys for saving me some cash....my wife thanks you too lol!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. Suspension ok...fair..
2. Interior, ok...fair
3. You are going to tune it with goose or MPT either way.
4. Yeah you owe us beers and I'm only 3 hrs away.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have a 2018 as well. The engine and suspension can be upgraded way more than what stock offers. But the tech is different outside of adding a big screen. The tech is not what does this truck for me, in fact I wish it had less. But I understand your points.

Glad we were able to help you out. Cheers.