Shed/Carport/Garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're using it for. To keep dirt or dust off or to reduce uv exposure: Cheaper option would be a truck cover
Trying to prevent hail damage? I'd recommend the hail protector car cover. Works extremely well but it has to be prepared before any storm unless you leave it on.
Other than that car ports are not entirely inexpensive but it's always there

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really care that much? Are you only going to drive it when it’s warm & sunny w/ 0% chance of rain b/c you want the paint to stay shiny? If that’s the case….you got the wrong truck- it’s literally meant to get dirty, made to get dirty. Secondly, I never got this mentality w/ daily driver vehicles- hobby/toy vehicles? I get it. I wash/wax my vette & choose to drive only in nice weather, but if it were my DD, who cares if it’s in a garage or not, I can’t control the weather & guess what happens the second you drive that DD out the garage? No matter how clean it is it’s now subject to whatever Mother Nature decides to throw at ya

personally I wouldn’t sweat it, I think your money would actually be better spent on a full paint correction, PPF & professional ceramic coat- then the inevitability of getting dirty & dealing w/ the elements will be much less an issue

I had a custom built 18’x42’ attached garage built on my house 6 years ago- only the toys/tools/sports equipment etc goes in it & i leave my raptor & wifes MDX outside- if it’s pouring or during winter months when really cold/snowy I have my wife put the MDX in the garage & I back the raptor up within 6” of the door shielding the driveway from the snow to make it easier to get out in the morning- that’s as close as the Raptor gets to the garage lol, I guess sometimes I back it in if I’m loading it up & it’s pouring out

Lastly… I’d check on pre-fab steel building pricing….
My Raptor and my wife’s MDX also live outside. In the generous two car garage lives two motorcycles, my CTS-V and my son’s Raptor power wheels

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really care that much? Are you only going to drive it when it’s warm & sunny w/ 0% chance of rain b/c you want the paint to stay shiny? If that’s the case….you got the wrong truck- it’s literally meant to get dirty, made to get dirty. Secondly, I never got this mentality w/ daily driver vehicles- hobby/toy vehicles? I get it. I wash/wax my vette & choose to drive only in nice weather, but if it were my DD, who cares if it’s in a garage or not, I can’t control the weather & guess what happens the second you drive that DD out the garage?

Let’s forget about caring if the DD is dirty or not, I like the feeling of getting into a vehicle in a attached garage to keep myself and whatever I may be carrying to the vehicle dry/warm. It’s also nice to get into a truck that hasn’t been baking in the sun all day in the summer heat. Ditto for coming home in bad weather without getting wet when getting out, etc.

OP
OP
Topher

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Russ103 Thanks.

I was just wanting to see if anyone was in the same spot. I don't care its out in the sun/elements and this is my DD so it gets naturally dirty. It hails in Texas and just a peace of mind to have it covered to also beat the heat as well :) even though this summer as been rather nice in terms of no 100+ degrees for 60 days that we haven't had

Raptor50

Reaction score
if zoning would allow it, you could consider building a carport to match the roof line of the house, basically covering the driveway in front of the garage. You see this a lot in the south and more rural parts of the country. Metal carports work well, but not the nicest architectural feature. PM me a picture of the house, and I'll see if anything comes to mind. I design and build houses for a hobby

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@Russ103 Thanks.

I was just wanting to see if anyone was in the same spot. I don't care its out in the sun/elements and this is my DD so it gets naturally dirty. It hails in Texas and just a peace of mind to have it covered to also beat the heat as well :) even though this summer as been rather nice in terms of no 100+ degrees for 60 days that we haven't had
Good point. most readers won’t “get” the cautionary tale about hail. The state can get supercell thunderstorms, and softball sized hail at times. I’ve seen pictures of baseball sized hail, not something you want to get hit with and not something you want your vehicle to get hit with either. Unless it’s a prius.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheapest solution would be a tarp anchored to the fence/old garage and two stakes/poles on the grass side...$50.