She finally came in.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp... Who wants a write up?

I finally picked up my Performance Blue 801a SCREW last Sunday. She was optioned exactly as I wanted. (Torsen diff, spray in liner, 360 degree camera, no ******* twin panel moonroof)

I am speechless at how good this truck is. This is my first F-150. I have previously always owned Super Duties with my Silverado 1500 being the sole exception. My god this thing is on a whole nother level.

I’m no stranger to high performance vehicles. When I test drove a Raptor, the first thing I initially noticed was not the powertrain, but the suspension. I would offer that while the powertrain and suspension were designed to complement each other, the suspension is the real star of the show. It is absolutely unflappable and for the size and girth of this truck, profoundly stupid. On the way back from the dealership I spent some time bombing down some rough backroads in sport mode. Good lord. There’s no reason it should handle as well as it does for as hefty as it is. It’s nothing short of incredible.

I’ve been waiting for a 10 speed automatic for quite some time. The 6 speeds were a good start in the right direction, but I always felt being able to rip off shifts through multiple gears to keep the engine directly in the power band was the best solution. Ford’s 10R80 was exactly what I wanted. I can see some of the complaints about a rough shift here and there. It doesn’t bother me. It’s a truck not a Cadillac. Give it 5 years and they’ll have it down perfectly. When I bought my 5.0L Mustang last year, I wanted the 6 spd. manual for the driving engagement and because all the reviews were crapping on the auto. Now, I wish I had at least given it a try to see what it was like. It’s that transformative of an option.

Now the part where we all fight. The 3.5L HO Ecoboost was the best motor in Ford’s portfolio at the time the Gen 2 was conceived to power this truck. With the exception of the aural experience and in terms of raw performance, this is the best motor to ever fit in between the fenders of a truck based SVT/Ford Performance product. In fact, it’s so good, that not only was it king of the hill for four years straight against any other truck manufacturer, but it was only recently dethroned last week at the end of its product life cycle. The Ecoboost is an absolute monster of a mill and you wouldn’t have the same level of power or efficiency with a larger displacement engine. If you can’t get onboard with it and *have* to have a V8 in a truck, you might want to start looking at the competition. The 3.5L proved Ford’s little theory was right and they have managed to pull it off in spectacular fashion. The fact that they added the 2.7L to their engine lineup only reinforces that. I just can’t see how much longer Ford will continue to make the case for a V8 in a half ton with the numbers the Ecoboosts are reliably cranking out. Also, I’m not going to speculate on future plans for the 5.2 Predator in the Gen 3 here. That’s another subject entirely.

So with all this ranting and raving the praises of this truck, what’s the downside? This is my first Ford truck in awhile. I stepped away from the brand some years ago because I felt they had lost the simplicity that they were known for and had become too complicated to work on and fix. Case in point; look at the 98 F-150 and 99 Super Duty. They jammed the engine bay as tight as possible and made relatively simple repairs an absolute nightmare due to clearance issues. I am afraid this truck might be more of the same.

I’m very nervous about both of the turbos being constantly exposed to salt spray through the wheel wells. I am very nervous about how stuffed in everything is underneath.

I am very nervous about all the unnecessary “safety” assist ******** they load these trucks up with now because people can’t put down their ******* phones. I am very nervous about the amount of electronics that I see no real upside to. Just look at BLIS. I can accomplish the same thing with a well designed spot mirror or tow mirror.

Ford reminds me of a domestic BMW these days. I tell people the S550 Mustang is reminiscent of an E90 3 series/M3. The character of those cars is very similar. The problem with BMWs is while they are fantastic driving cars, (or at least they used to be) long term ownership leaves a lot to be desired because of the cost and complexity to fix.

I fear that Ford, in chasing the “Gotta Have Gismos” tech buyer, has compromised their long term durability, especially on an off road vehicle that will be seeing abusive environments. I really hope I’m proven wrong on that one.

But overall, I’m really excited about this truck in a way I haven’t been excited about trucks in awhile. Calling the Raptor just an F-150 is a complete disservice to the engineers at Ford Performance who put this batshit crazy thing together. Nearly every time we drive it, I look over at the wife with a laugh and remark, “This thing is absolutely stupid.” And it is.

I can just imagine the product planner who was probably sitting around a fire, drunk and high off his ass with his other product planner buddies, who said after taking a lengthy drag on his joint, “Alright hear me out. Let’s take an F-150, give it oversized tires, a lift kit, a crazy suspension with some ridiculous shocks, a motor that puts out crazy power, and lets run that sumbitch through the desert at 80 mph.”

His buddy, not to be outdone, hits the bottle and says, “I’ll do you one better. Make it ultra luxurious, make it thicker than a Snicker, make it ride like a BarcaLounger on four wheels, and give that fu**er paddle shifters mounted up on the steering wheel.”

Thank god for them.

Thank god for capitalism.

God bless America. :patriot:

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I share your concerns about the electronic gizmos and wizardry. This is why I am purchasing a Ford ESP 8/125K warranty for about $2400.

If it were up to me every vehicle would be manual trans only to make people drive again.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You share a lot of my own thoughts. I doused the entire engine bay from every angle w/ Yamashield (formerly boeshield 9) protectant I initially found useful on waverunners (it goes on clear smells good doesn’t discolor & lasts a long time) - I did wind up using amsoil HDMP all on the undercarriage & actually gave the snails a few coats as well w/ this beefier metal protectant spray that DOES leave a beeswax-ish tacky coating & DOES leave a golden yellow tint to bare AL or light colored surfaces (it makes black steel blacker though- cleans up the exhaust tips/tow hooks/trailer hitch well) ive gone through 1.5 New England winters now & it’s held up great.

I come from being mainly a GM/V8 guy & having come off 3 previous GM 1/2 tons (2x5.3a & a 6.2) I had zero interest in driving an overly techy “for technology sake” truck like a ram (Why WHY do I need a rotary dial shifter!?!?) & GM trucks w/ their best in class (best in the biz ) V8s & column shifter are more in that style I guess. I think the Raptor is a great combo of technology, luxury, & utility. I also opted for an 801a truck b/c I dislike unnecessary options & felt the upcharge to an 802a was dumb- my only gripe is, Ford- WHY do you offer excellent bolstered 2 tone perforated leather seats, embroiled w/ “raptor” in multi position headrests w/ lumbar & full power.....BUT NO MEMORY!?!? Answer? My only guess is they have engineers who think they’re Fn cute. It makes NO sense. F you ford on that.

but- screw a push button start (that WILL crack in 2 btw)

also agreed the HO 3.5 EB is one of the best engines fords ever made. I wouldn’t be driving an F150
If it had a V8....b/c these days Fords V8s aren’t you to par w/ the competition - now ford fanboys Get mad when I mention this- but it’s by fords own admission, b/c make NO DOUBT, if they made a good V8 it’d be the top seller for the F150 & it’d be the engine in their halo truck (obv it ain’t) - if their V8s were any good they’d still make a large luxury car w/ one (Mercedes Audi Cadillac bmw Lexus Infiniti.....) they’d still make their large SUVs w/ one - literally what domestic brand confident in their V8 quality wouldn’t put them in their largest most luxurious vehicles? Navigator, explorer, aviator, expedition etc oh? And final confirmation ford knows their V8s suck & only belong in the mustang & ****** gasser HDs? They put an eco boost in the GT. I would consider getting a mustang if it had the same engine as the Raptor. HIGHLY consider. +100hp/TQ w/ a tune only in a tiny car like that? Yes please.

I did get the pano roof cuz was the only 801a screw I could find w/ all
The other options I wanted- was weary of it same as you but since I couldn’t order one (didn’t have time) & nearly impossible to find one w/o it I went for it but knew ahead of time theyre problematic. My honest opinion is such- it’s a great feature as long as you know it’s a little fragile going into it. If you always pop & vent it first before sliding back & lube the seals w/ krytox twice a year should be all set

I have 28k on my 2018 now & it’s still one of if not THE best vehicle purchase I’ve made.

Good luck!

get a tune....

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
802A has memory seats, you just need to pay the “dumb upcharge” for the premium feature.

As for Ford not using V8 engines in more of their high end vehicles, although I agree with you that GM’s V8 is clearly better the Coyote V8 is not junk, you are missing the real reason. Ford sells mostly trucks and SUV’s, the only car left will be the Mustang. Due to CAFE standards the overall fleet fuel economy has to be brought up to a certain level, Ford’s hand has been forced and this is accomplished with the Ecoboost lineup. GM sells a bunch of cars still, like Toyota and FCA do, so the overall CAFE number is easier for them to hit with V8 engines in their trucks.

stricksteve

Reaction score
I totally agree with the comments on the suspension and motor. I have owned trucks for more than 30 years and my new raptor replaced a 2007 Toyota Tundra that had low miles and an elk decided to argue with it for the right of way on the road. The elk is dead and the truck was totaled!! My driveway is 8/10 of a mile long up along a cliff and as rocky as anything that might be called a road. My 2000 3/4 ton Chevy would rattle the teeth out of a concrete dummy on the road. The Chevy cannot go up the road faster than 7 mph with out losing it's suspension. The New Raptor goes up at 20 mph without a complaint. That is a suspension!!!! The ONLY complaint I have with the truck is that with the roads I drive on, the tires pick up a lot of gravel and while driving after getting off the county roads, it sounds like I am in a tin can that someone is throwing pebbles into!!
With said, it is the best truck I can imagine with plenty of power and a fantastic suspension. And Rapid Red is a great color!

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You share a lot of my own thoughts. I doused the entire engine bay from every angle w/ Yamashield (formerly boeshield 9) protectant I initially found useful on waverunners (it goes on clear smells good doesn’t discolor & lasts a long time) - I did wind up using amsoil HDMP all on the undercarriage & actually gave the snails a few coats as well w/ this beefier metal protectant spray that DOES leave a beeswax-ish tacky coating & DOES leave a golden yellow tint to bare AL or light colored surfaces (it makes black steel blacker though- cleans up the exhaust tips/tow hooks/trailer hitch well) ive gone through 1.5 New England winters now & it’s held up great.

What product did you use on the turbos and have you had any bad side effects when they get heated? I’m considering biting the bullet and using that AMSoil protectant while the chassis is still new and clean and then topping off with Woolwax.

I come from being mainly a GM/V8 guy & having come off 3 previous GM 1/2 tons (2x5.3a & a 6.2) I had zero interest in driving an overly techy “for technology sake” truck like a ram (Why WHY do I need a rotary dial shifter!?!?) & GM trucks w/ their best in class (best in the biz ) V8s & column shifter are more in that style I guess. I think the Raptor is a great combo of technology, luxury, & utility. I also opted for an 801a truck b/c I dislike unnecessary options & felt the upcharge to an 802a was dumb- my only gripe is, Ford- WHY do you offer excellent bolstered 2 tone perforated leather seats, embroiled w/ “raptor” in multi position headrests w/ lumbar & full power.....BUT NO MEMORY!?!? Answer? My only guess is they have engineers who think they’re Fn cute. It makes NO sense. F you ford on that.

but- screw a push button start (that WILL crack in 2 btw)

If GM hadn’t beaten the new Silverado with the ugly stick relentlessly and if they offered something comparable to the Raptor, I really would’ve considered getting another one. I absolutely loved my 2011 and how wonderfully simple they were.

I hear you loud and clear on the memory seats. It was one of the few options I really wanted because of the height difference between my wife and I. I wish Ford would take a more Porsche-esque approach and allow you to specify individual options albeit at a higher price that if that option was in a package.

I wanted the memory seats, navigation, sound system, and cooled seats sans dual zone climate control but no...

also agreed the HO 3.5 EB is one of the best engines fords ever made. I wouldn’t be driving an F150
If it had a V8....b/c these days Fords V8s aren’t you to par w/ the competition - now ford fanboys Get mad when I mention this- but it’s by fords own admission, b/c make NO DOUBT, if they made a good V8 it’d be the top seller for the F150 & it’d be the engine in their halo truck (obv it ain’t) - if their V8s were any good they’d still make a large luxury car w/ one (Mercedes Audi Cadillac bmw Lexus Infiniti.....) they’d still make their large SUVs w/ one - literally what domestic brand confident in their V8 quality wouldn’t put them in their largest most luxurious vehicles? Navigator, explorer, aviator, expedition etc oh? And final confirmation ford knows their V8s suck & only belong in the mustang & ****** gasser HDs? They put an eco boost in the GT. I would consider getting a mustang if it had the same engine as the Raptor. HIGHLY consider. +100hp/TQ w/ a tune only in a tiny car like that? Yes please.

I know we’ve been here before, but I think it has more to do with CAFE/.gov and less to do with their confidence in their V8s. They invested all that money into the Ecoboost program for trucks and now they want to use it.

That said, the 5.0L in an F-150 will embarrass a 5.3L. Pair the 10 speed with the Gen 3 in a Mustang and suddenly you’re taking lunch money all day long. I wasn’t huge on the 5L until I test drove everything else before I bought my Mustang. That car makes 460HP and
consistently gets 21+ MPG in mixed driving even on winter fuel without the use of cylinder deactivation. If I want more, I can bump it up to 480 and get 40% more torque lower in the RPM range with a Ford Performance tune. It is nothing short of an absolute technological marvel. The problem is that it’s a revver, which works for a grand tourer but isn’t a favorable characteristic for a truck motor. That’s ultimately why I believe the Ecoboost is the better solution for the Raptor, simply because of the low end instant torque.

I did get the pano roof cuz was the only 801a screw I could find w/ all
The other options I wanted- was weary of it same as you but since I couldn’t order one (didn’t have time) & nearly impossible to find one w/o it I went for it but knew ahead of time theyre problematic. My honest opinion is such- it’s a great feature as long as you know it’s a little fragile going into it. If you always pop & vent it first before sliding back & lube the seals w/ krytox twice a year should be all set

I have 28k on my 2018 now & it’s still one of if not THE best vehicle purchase I’ve made.

Good luck!

get a tune....