Shackle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could someone possibly post a pic of a mounted stock rear leaf shackle. I’m confused mounting my new Camburg shackles.

Thanks

cwylie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skinny end goes to the frame. Fat end goes to the spring. They should be arcing forward.

OP
OP
M

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reason I ask is. I put on some Camburg ‘stock’ height shackles but put them on with angle facing rearward. I’m obviously planning to switch them but need to find the time. Is there any concern with leaving them for a month with daily driving?
I also noticed that my ride ht dropped about 1/2” once installed. Could mounting them backward somehow account for the loss of height? It’s either that or my new +3HD Deavers are not as sprung as my older standard +3 Deavers I just removed? Just trying to figure out where the loss of height came from.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reason I ask is. I put on some Camburg ‘stock’ height shackles but put them on with angle facing rearward. I’m obviously planning to switch them but need to find the time. Is there any concern with leaving them for a month with daily driving?
I also noticed that my ride ht dropped about 1/2” once installed. Could mounting them backward somehow account for the loss of height? It’s either that or my new +3HD Deavers are not as sprung as my older standard +3 Deavers I just removed? Just trying to figure out where the loss of height came from.
Can you help educate me on the purposes of a shackle if you are looking to maintain the same ride height?

D

Deleted member 12951

Can you help educate me on the purposes of a shackle if you are looking to maintain the same ride height?

The stock shackle is flimsy. The camburg is stronger and doesn’t flex plus has better bushings. I recently purchased one for my GEN1 and plan on upgrading it since I am swapping out the leaf springs.

In regards to the OP’s question, for just daily driving, he will be just fine if its on backwards as I doubt he will fully droop the suspension to cause any binding. Easiest thing to test/check is jack the truck up by the frame to lift the tires off the ground and inspect the shackles.

Camburg’s info:
Our Camburg MIG shackles replace the stock light-duty version your 17-18 Ford Raptor or F-150 15-18 is equipped with from the factory. The stock shackles are stamped out of thin metal and use a rubber bushing which both allow for a flexy component that also binds as it cycles since the rubber bushings are vulcanized into the shackle.

Our shackles are a fabricated boxed gusseted design that is much stronger and use polyurethane bushings that pivot smoother with less flex. They are MIG welded and powder-coated in our matte black finish and ready to be bolted on using the factory hardware. They are stock length, so they do not raise or lower the ride height and are a perfect match for Deaver leaf springs.

D

Deleted member 12951

Thanks for the explanation!!!!

You also have to realize that the Deaver HD’s is a heavier stronger leafs than factory too so it will put on additional stress on the shackle that it wasn’t designed for so upgrading it is a common part of the system to do.