Setting up exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With now having my bed dovetailed with the Evil Offroad Banshee bumper and the RPG Offroad rocker sliders installed, it's time to get the exhaust system properly setup. Currently I have the Kooks longtube headers and then a custom header-back with a Flowmaster muffler that goes over the axle. Originally I was debating trying to do a side exit exhaust at the front of the bed, but now with the rock sliders there is very little room to run piping in that area. Also, many guys have mentioned that without bringing the exhaust over the rear axle you end up with a lot of drone and reverb noise under normal driving, which I would like to try and avoid. I don't mind the truck being louder, but not annoyingly loud under regular driving conditions.

I'm thinking at this point of doing something custom with electric cutouts. The current idea would be to run the exhaust all the way back and dump it over the rear axle to retain ground clearance, but also to be able to keep noise and drone down under normal driving conditions. I will definitely be keeping the Kooks longtubes on it, but I'm debating doing the cutout setup so that it would bypass the exhaust and basically have open headers. That would allow me to have it as loud as I want it to be with the cutouts open, but then also allow me to run a more quiet muffler setup for normal driving.

Anyone running something similar to this?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in what you come up with. I'm planning to do the dove tail cut and SVC bumper if i can find a good place to dump the exhaust. I'd like it as close to the outside of the truck as possible to reduce the possibility of unwanted cabin noise. I'm hoping somewhere in the corner after the axle. I need to roll under there and see what my options are.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm interested in what you come up with. I'm planning to do the dove tail cut and SVC bumper if i can find a good place to dump the exhaust. I'd like it as close to the outside of the truck as possible to reduce the possibility of unwanted cabin noise. I'm hoping somewhere in the corner after the axle. I need to roll under there and see what my options are.

Most likely you'll just want to run it over the rear axle and dump it pointing downwards. Least amount of noise, but will retain all the clearance you get from the dove tail.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bumping this back up as I prepare to get the truck back out in a month or two.

The plan is still to keep the Kooks longtubes without the catalytic converters. I'm still thinking of doing an electric cutout that would bypass the rest of the exhaust and placing it somewhere after the transfer case to allow for plenty of room for it. The plan then would be to run the exhaust back and dump it over the rear axle to keep drone and reverb in the cab down. Currently the exhaust is a bit too loud for long road trips, so that's the thoughts on using the electric cutout so that I can make it rowdy when I want, but quiet during the long trips.

Would it be best to just have a local exhaust shop build something instead of purchasing an already existing kit from a vendor and hacking it up? I'm assuming it would make more sense to just have something built locally so that I can set it up how I want it without having to cut up something that's nice already.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Yeah id do a local custom one for that. Im about to say heck with the nonsense electrical cutout rule here and do one also lol. Most sport cars have them now anyway plus if i keep it from being too loud they wont know till inspection time. I know a guy for that LOL

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah id do a local custom one for that. Im about to say heck with the nonsense electrical cutout rule here and do one also lol. Most sport cars have them now anyway plus if i keep it from being too loud they wont know till inspection time. I know a guy for that LOL

Yea, I'm thinking that'll be the way to go, that way I can have them do like V-band flanges to make it easy to disconnect and remove if need be. Also, that'll allow me to change mufflers if I drive it and find it's too loud or too quiet. I just need to figure out how I wanna control the electric cutout.

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go from headers to cutout to cats to muffler from a stock F150 you can be quieter on highway and rowdy when you want by a larger margin of decibel difference.