Serpentine Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure I would have spent the coin on a Gates for a Stock setup. Now with a SC or High Revving setup I would but the stock belt is more than enough and keeping a spare when off roading is all that is needed. On an Automatic equipped engine not much strain on the belt, with a stick you are shocking the belt a lot more especially with a whipple or roush SC on top.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To each his own SilentShooter. My Raptor is the first vehicle I've ever bought that I did not have to make compromises on at the time of purchase. I turn 60 in a couple weeks, so this is quite significant to me. It wasn't, "Do I get the big engine or the 4WD?" or, "Should I get the smaller vehicle because it'll be more economical?" I made no compromises when I bought the Raptor, and I expect to maintain it in the same no-compromise fashion.

Last edited:

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the Gates Racing serpentine belt PN K061054RB today. The racing belts are advertised to be three times stronger than standard belts. (And they command commensurate price.) I have never in my life had an easier time installing an automotive belt, serpentine or V-belt. Geeze, the 6.L is a dream engine!

What Hockster said is important to know

and,

some of these newer belts produce Less Heat
which contributes toward the belts longer life
and less heat means longer pulley bearing wear.
And that's a "good thing"
and good that you have taken care of it.

PS I got that gauge . . Free from Gates several years ago . . . Now, if I can only remember where I put it . .

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What Hockster said is important to know

and,

some of these newer belts produce Less Heat
which contributes toward the belts longer life
and less heat means longer pulley bearing wear.
And that's a "good thing"
and good that you have taken care of it.

PS I got that gauge . . Free from Gates several years ago . . . Now, if I can only remember where I put it . .

Really? The local auto parts stores look at me like I've just escaped from the Island of Dr. Moreau.

Longer pulley bearing life? I'm all about it! There are three idler pulleys on the 6.2L.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Feed a loop of the belt down between the passenger side idler and the base of the tension arm, and put it around the AC compressor. Then follow the pattern in the owner's manual, leaving only the loop around the top pulley off. Put a 1/2" drive breaker bar on the tension arm, compress the arm, and pull the belt over the top pulley. Double-check that you've got the belt in the proper grooves of the grooved pulleys, remove the breaker bar, and start the engine for a test run. With so much room to work in between the engine and the radiator fans, this is a surprisingly easy little task.