Serious question about shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just sheared off the 8mm top section of the shock shaft while trying to break loose the top nylock nut. 3 applications of WD40 didn't help; it was frozen. Anyway, looks like rather than add the price of a new shock shaft to the $150 rebuild cost, I might just buya new shock. What's the part # on rockauto, and did they actually have them in stock? Thanks.
Oh damn. Rockauto shows fronts for Supercab $328.79 BL3Z18124C or Supercrew $397.79 BL3Z18124J. So they went up since last month when I priced them (for SCREW)...

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just sheared off the 8mm top section of the shock shaft while trying to break loose the top nylock nut. 3 applications of WD40 didn't help; it was frozen. Anyway, looks like rather than add the price of a new shock shaft to the $150 rebuild cost, I might just buya new shock. What's the part # on rockauto, and did they actually have them in stock? Thanks.
NICE spring compressor right there too :cool:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but…you probably coulda just used an impact on that top nut (without the spring compressor) :confused:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my 1/2" cordless wasn't working. So I tried to use the Branick to hold it in place, and it just didn't budge. It was so corroded on top the 8mm socket wouldn't slide on. I actually had to file it down to get the socket on it. At this point, (with new shocks ordered), I guess I can just cut it off with a small cutoff wheel; let it fly across the floor, and save the parts.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what it looks like under the spring collar. No real way to remove the rust without removing the coating, which means it will just rust again; but faster.

Attachments

• 20220114_134201.jpg
    20220114_134201.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 31