Serious question about shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping not to start an ugly debate but i was wondering what the advantage is, for using Gen 2 shocks on a Gen 1? It seems, to do it correctly you need use different bodies or KHC shock buckets or limit straps, ect. Is there a major cost or performance value that justifies the extra work and complexity to retrofitting gen 2 shocks on a gen 1? Seems like it would be more cost effective and easier to get a set of tuned/re-valved shocks from TSW or Forged instead gen 2 shocks. Thoughts?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grappling with this one myself and interested to hear opinions.

Just looking at the fronts, brand new 2.5's from Rockauto are $676, add $84 for hats, $475 for Giesers and I'm at $1235. New Gen2 fronts with Mikra bodies is about $1800, add Giesers and it's $2275. A new pair of Fox 3.0's with DSC is about $3k which of course include springs (albeit maybe not progressive so Eibachs on the other two may be a more accurate comparison, about $175 less). Or there's whole hog mid travel with bypasses, but jeez at $15k that's spendy.

Supposedly the Gen2 shocks will have a longer useful life before needing a rebuild, makes sense to me as the tech is newer, the larger diameter should translate into less stress on components, but ultimately everyone's mileage will vary there. Plus you're starting with brand new shafts, bodies, etc. By the same token, new 3.0's should also last better than stock 2.5's, especially with the addition of the remote reservoirs, I would think under the same use they would last even better (which along with adjustability is the main justification for the expense). Then there's the question of Live Valves and the Eclik system, which appears doable on a Gen1 but you're pretty much in 3.0 price range and not sure if you're better off.

I'm thinking I'll try going with new 2.5's and Giesers, so I'd have a spare set to rebuild, and skip the Gen2's in favor of 3.0's in another year. But still on the fence...

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Are the gieser springs a huge upgrade over stock and do they help out with shock wear? Cause thatd be worth sticking with the factory 2.5s cost wise.

Im leaning mikra shocks and stock springs myself since he claimed a good long life with them.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't justify the cost of 3.0s or Icons or Kings since i don't do enough offroading. I bought a set of used 2.5's and had them rebuilt and re-valved before i heard of forged or TSW so i spent a little more since i didn't do an exchange. Seems like the exchange program is the best bang for the buck assuming you aren't doing anything that warrants bigger shocks or external bypass. I did upgrade to Geisers when installed the new shocks and i thought the difference was noticeable. The small bump compliance is great and i didn't notice that much stiffer ride on the street.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't justify the cost of 3.0s or Icons or Kings since i don't do enough offroading. I bought a set of used 2.5's and had them rebuilt and re-valved before i heard of forged or TSW so i spent a little more since i didn't do an exchange. Seems like the exchange program is the best bang for the buck assuming you aren't doing anything that warrants bigger shocks or external bypass. I did upgrade to Geisers when installed the new shocks and i thought the difference was noticeable. The small bump compliance is great and i didn't notice that much stiffer ride on the street.
Exactly what I'm thinking, I went with mid perch rebuild then Deavers, Giesers seems like a better match and worth trying.
Are the gieser springs a huge upgrade over stock and do they help out with shock wear? Cause thatd be worth sticking with the factory 2.5s cost wise.

Im leaning mikra shocks and stock springs myself since he claimed a good long life with them.
Giesers offer a progressive spring rate instead of linear so should soak up little hits better and still be able to handle larger impacts as well. Not really going to make any difference in shock wear but it's the spring that does the work of suspending the truck, shocks handle damping the forces up (compression) and down (rebound). I like the Mikra setup but it's a tough call when 3.0's are only a "little" more...

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
. I did upgrade to Geisers when installed the new shocks and i thought the difference was noticeable. The small bump compliance is great and i didn't notice that much stiffer ride on the strstreet
Did you go from oem shocks (on the lower perch) to the Geiser coils on the mid-perch setting? How much higher did it end up? Their website says 2.5" higher. I'm guessing you also replaced the oem uca's? Did you need to get an alignment? Thanks

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you go from oem shocks (on the lower perch) to the Geiser coils on the mid-perch setting? How much higher did it end up? Their website says 2.5" higher. I'm guessing you also replaced the oem uca's? Did you need to get an alignment? Thanks
I went from oem on mid perch to geisers on mid perch. I don’t remember the height change but with Deaver +2 leaf’s my truck sits level. Did not need UCAs but did get an alignment a week after doing the springs. I let them settle in before getting an alignment

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Grappling with this one myself and interested to hear opinions.

Just looking at the fronts, brand new 2.5's from Rockauto are $676,
I just sheared off the 8mm top section of the shock shaft while trying to break loose the top nylock nut. 3 applications of WD40 didn't help; it was frozen. Anyway, looks like rather than add the price of a new shock shaft to the $150 rebuild cost, I might just buya new shock. What's the part # on rockauto, and did they actually have them in stock? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220112_164021.jpg
    20220112_164021.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220112_164012.jpg
    20220112_164012.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 28

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ebay has them listed for $412 including shipping. Their part number is

OEM NEW 10-14 Ford F150 Lariat Shock Absorber Motorcraft Fox Racing Bl3Z18124H"​