Selling 2018 Raptor... Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've enjoyed my 2018 Raptor for the past 5 years, with the first 4 years putting minimal miles on it. A 3mi round trip commute to work during the first 4 years was nice, but I've started a new job that requires I put roughly 70mi/day on my truck. My milage jumped up to 63k miles pretty quick with the new job, and I'm considering selling my truck before I drive all of the value out of it...

Carmax, Tesla, Ford, and Carvana have each offered me a cash value of $42-$46k for my truck.. I know I can likely get more through a private sale, might go down that path if needed.

Like other threads I've found on here, I'm not too keen on selling my Raptor just to buy an over priced new or used truck. I have a kid on the way that'll be here in 2 months, so looking for a solid family vehicle. Bear with me... My top picks for a new car is either a Tesla Model Y, or a Tesla Model 3. Main reason being both have experienced a substantial price drop recently, and I'd get a $7,500 EV Tax Credit from the Fed for "Going Green".

Any feedback on any of the above points would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to roast me for the Tesla consideration as well...

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're going to sorely miss your raptor with the replacement vehicles you're considering but if you're making the decision because you think it's right for your family then you can't argue with that. One thing to consider is 70mi/day would basically require that you use some sort of fast charger or have an installation done at your home in order to keep up with that commute daily. Not a huge deal, but something worth considering.

openspaces

Reaction score
Just my experience based on a recent purchase and pretty extensive search over the last few weeks. Assuming you have the 802a package and the truck is really nice shape the asking price on a lot would be low $50’s. Without the 802a upper $40’s.

keep In mind you get the tax credit on the tradein value @$45k trade in you’d save around $3150 on new vehicle if tax rate is 7% And you’d avoid any potential issues with a private sale.

I sold my last truck 14yyears ago to buy kid friendly suvs. Just now getting a truck again so I very much understand your position. Good luck

understand your position.

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed my 2018 Raptor for the past 5 years, with the first 4 years putting minimal miles on it. A 3mi round trip commute to work during the first 4 years was nice, but I've started a new job that requires I put roughly 70mi/day on my truck. My milage jumped up to 63k miles pretty quick with the new job, and I'm considering selling my truck before I drive all of the value out of it...

Carmax, Tesla, Ford, and Carvana have each offered me a cash value of $42-$46k for my truck.. I know I can likely get more through a private sale, might go down that path if needed.

Like other threads I've found on here, I'm not too keen on selling my Raptor just to buy an over priced new or used truck. I have a kid on the way that'll be here in 2 months, so looking for a solid family vehicle. Bear with me... My top picks for a new car is either a Tesla Model Y, or a Tesla Model 3. Main reason being both have experienced a substantial price drop recently, and I'd get a $7,500 EV Tax Credit from the Fed for "Going Green".

Any feedback on any of the above points would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to roast me for the Tesla consideration as well...

Seems you are thinking the right way - get something that works for the family and the commute. An EV would handle the 140mi round trip easily of an overnight charges. You can always come back to a truck later.

Rptrrob702

Reaction score
You could sell it for 50-56k depending where you live. I had a gen 1 that I sold for a Lexus RX 350 when my son was born. About a year later I sold it for a Gen 2 and told myself I would never go without a truck again. The space in the F150 is a big plus. With a rear facing car seat my wife can recline her seat in comfort all she wants, and with myself, I never have to worry about other peoples leg room in the rear. It's practically a limo. With the model Y or 3 the rear space will be tight and if you and your spouse are tall you'll quickly realize how big of a mistake you made. On top of that my uncle just purchased a Model Y in November 2022, and was lemon lawed by January 2023. Personally I think they're junk.