Sell or Trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

victorsam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 14 SCREW, SE, All options. 18k miles. I traded an '11 in on it. When I took delivery, I asked that the dealer not prep the truck. So all the protective film is till on the dash, plastic over shift knob and seats, protective film on sills, etc. Yes, I know that was a little ****. Point is, the truck is in excellent shape and I planned on keeping it not knowing if they would revive the Raptor.

Dealership has now offered me the first 17. I have not decided on keeping or going new. My 14 has kept its value pretty well. So my question is, should I sell it outright now, or trade it when the new one comes. At the time the dealer gave me top dollar on may '11 trade and has offered top dollar again. My concern is whether or not the 14 will drop in value significantly when the 17s start to appear, making it smarter to sell when value is relatively high.

Other deciding factors or whether I want the v6 etc.

I know this is all speculation, just looking for opinions.

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your tax laws, but the tax break is usually tempting to trade it and and skip the hassle. However, it will be very easy to sell that truck too. I say do what feels right. :)

Also, unwrap that thing, it can't catch an STD.

OP
OP
victorsam

victorsam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, unwrap that thing, it can't catch an STD.
Okay, that was funny! My brothers have been known to walk up with a handful of plastic claiming that hey helped me unwrap it.

The tax thing is a factor. I would have to sell it for enough to cover the loss in trade-in value tax. Dealership offered to run a "private sell" through the dealership so I could still count the trade in value of the purchase price.

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, that was funny! My brothers have been known to walk up with a handful of plastic claiming that hey helped me unwrap it.

The tax thing is a factor. I would have to sell it for enough to cover the loss in trade-in value tax. Dealership offered to run a "private sell" through the dealership so I could still count the trade in value of the purchase price.

Yes, if you can do a sale to another buyer through the dealer at the same time, it is win/win for you. :))