Sell now or trade in later for Raptor R?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do y’all think is best? I owe 15k left on my fully loaded 2019 Raptor, should I sell it now or trade in toward the Raptor R when it comes out?

Whatever premium your truck is worth right now will be more than eaten up by the dealer markup on the Raptor R. Everything is relative.
I'm in the same boat. Mine's a fully loaded 19....Paid off. It's carrying about a 5k resale premium due to current demand. If I sold it I'd turn around and eat some kind of dealer markup when the R comes out...probably way more than 5k if I could even find one. THen there is the whole "first model year" jitters you need to consider not to mention the additional cost because it's an R and at least 2 years newer. You are probably looking at spending at least 30-40k after your trade in plus the 15k you still owe. The economics just aren't there. I can afford it but I hate throwing money away for no reason. For me...I love my truck and am wanting for nothing so no reason to upgrade. In a few years I will start looking and at that time the economics will have stabilized. Should be able to get an R at MSRP configured the way I want instead of paying dealer markups and taking whatever is available. Just my 2 cents

MrCincinnati

Reaction score
Wow! I hadn’t even checked values lately until this thread. Kbb.com had my ‘20 with 11k mi (every option) at $76k... that’s almost exactly what I bought it for. Insane.
For the OP - eh if you’re dead set on getting a Raptor R - probably going to pay some arbitrary markup so not really sure it matters where you nip tuck savings - some dealer is going to set a price and you’ll either pay it or wait. For me the cost to replace the truck in the interim and get into a high demand new model would completely negate timing best trade in value for my current.

Confirmed this today. MSRP was $75,***. Tempting to get out of this thing and lose no skin... but there’s nothing I’d rather have for the money atm.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
I bought my used 2018 Raptor two years ago. It has just about every option available including the often hated moon roof (which I use often). The only option it doesn’t have is the Recaro seats.
It’s not my daily driver and pretty much sits in the garage. It’s mainly used to commute to my lake house and to tow my boat. It’s the ultimate definition of a Mall Crawler. ;)

I was reading this thread and for grins I contacted givemethevin.com. I’ll be damn if they didn’t offer me $60,500. Which is basically what I paid for my truck two years ago.
It’s tempting to let it go and apply my $30K in equity towards the Gen 3 when it becomes available.

At least here in Texas, used truck prices are unbelievable.

Oh, my truck has 40,000 miles.

Flapjack935

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R is a few years out. But I’d say trade it when the day comes. More equity for the R the better. What’s your current spec? Maybe I’ll pick it up when your ready lol

hdvvraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just sold my 18' 802a this fri for $85k, i already miss it, im not sure if we have hit the peak of gen 2 pricing yet, should have held on to it thru the summer but too late now

hdvvraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in CA and yea truck had about 30k into it, i bought is last yr as is from the first owner for 67k.... honestly i may have sold it for cheap should have asked for 90-95k seeing stock 18's similar mileage going for 68-70k right now

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda need to drive something for the next 1-2 years.
Yep, GMTV offered me $67,500 for my loaded (besides beads and graphics) 2019 with 29,500 miles. Problem is, I don't have another car I want to drive as a daily more than the Raptor.

So, I just ordered new tires since the original K02's were getting pretty loud and low tread. :)

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im in CA and yea truck had about 30k into it, i bought is last yr as is from the first owner for 67k.... honestly i may have sold it for cheap should have asked for 90-95k seeing stock 18's similar mileage going for 68-70k right now
Damn, my truck must be worth $100k :p