Seeking EDC Loadout Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have on several occasions, if you have a decent plug kit for around $25 it takes about 5 minutes as long as you can get some air into the tire. Done it in the mountains when hunting, on the side of the road and multiple times in my garage do to picking up roofing nails and screws while my neighborhood was being built. As long as it is not in he sidewall you are good to go long term. The kits are also compact!

ok, there is one person. Anyone else plug their own tires?

I take my ass to discount tire, for free. Probably been there a dozen times over the years. Never had one of their repairs fail.

MGA

Reaction score
Don't disagree with you but depending on where you are when it happens it may not always be convenient or possible to do that. Once you have the kit a simple nail or screw takes less time than it takes to drive somewhere and I have never had one fail, I have had sidewall plugs where I was able to schedule a tire replacement on my schedule and drive for a few days versus being stranded somewhere. Point was only that if you have it handy it can be real nice to have, not that it will always be easier than to go somewhere else.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who here has ever in their life plugged their own tire? Just curious. I never have.

At the most a portable compressor has been used to keep a tire inflated long enough to limp to a proper shop

During Wyoming Trail Days it was necessary to plug my tire. Two of the more experienced drivers plugged the tire, much easier than changing to the spare.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have on several occasions, if you have a decent plug kit for around $25 it takes about 5 minutes as long as you can get some air into the tire. Done it in the mountains when hunting, on the side of the road and multiple times in my garage do to picking up roofing nails and screws while my neighborhood was being built. As long as it is not in he sidewall you are good to go long term. The kits are also compact!
I have on street cars. If it’s just a nail and it’s not a performance car it’s easy and safe. Never on one of these bigass tires or anything heavy. My wife’s corolla and my old beaters back in the day, sure.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re keeping the light or any other battery powered accessory in the truck all the time, accelerate your battery replacement schedule. The heat of the cab will wear them out a lot faster; co-witness optics are a great idea here, and spare batteries for what you have in the truck, just in case.

excellent idea. see below.

I like where you’re going with this. Is your EPC multi-use?

+1. I have a VIAIR (?) that’s rated for 33” but works just fine for me. from 20-36 or so in about 5 minutes and will do all 4 tires just fine. Gets HOT as F***, but works.

Unless you’re in the middle of nowhere, there’s usually a pudgy humanoid that can’t outrun you... unless you are that pudgy humanoid - in that case, don’t off road with me, because if push comes to shove, you are a potential food source.

WHAT? @Oldfart gets away with way worse.

in addition to tire plug kit: Basic wrench, sockets, 2 drivers, swivel head, extensions, BFH, pipe / breaker bar, pliers & blow torch, gorilla tape, zip ties, screw drivers, torx bits, hex heads, etc.

This weekend, I took the wife out to Texas W(h)ine country. They’re not joking about it, I’ll bet they have 100 wineries crammed into Frednecksburg alone... Anyway, she had this one as a destination so we get there and I park us next to this peasant in his peasant 7 series. Normally I wouldn’t, but the only other open spot was a little tight for Lucille. She is just big framed... This poor bloke - prior service - has a flat. I ask if he just need air, hook him up, and his ‘must be $300+’ F1 is pissing out air as fast as my compressor is filling it. Upon inspection it’s a 3/8” head screw in his tire and it’s totally deflated. It gets worse - he has no jack, no tire iron, nothing.

I had just pulled out my tool bag and not put it back into the truck for this trip. First, i was just frustrated trying to help this bloke out, but then this feeling of cold numbness overtook me because I realized it could’ve been me. This guy was a fellow vet - and poor car choice aside, him and his guests were stuck. so we dug around and eventually scored a jack, but before he gets the car up I stop him - you should break loose the lug nuts first- only he doesn’t have a wrench, socket nothing so we have to scrounge other guests at the winery to get one. eventually one of the guys who works there has a the tools to get the wheel off. I offered what I could, but damnit I had tools to help this guy in my truck and took them out to go pick stuff up from a store and was just too lazy to put them back. Lesson learned.

Texas wine is like New Jersey wine. yeah it can be made there, but it doesn't count.

no jack, no tire iron. let me guess. air force

I say that in good fun.

But no really

oh, and i'm wondering. what does a co witness optic have to do with this situation? Aside from being nice to have an optic is not necessary by far.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
ok, there is one person. Anyone else plug their own tires?

I take my ass to discount tire, for free. Probably been there a dozen times over the years. Never had one of their repairs fail.

I have, my wife's car, my brother's truck.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
A shovel, canteen of water, purification pills or ultraviolet wand and first aid kit if it wasn't already mentioned.

Fire extinguisher, flares.

Just purchased a nice loadout bag myself along with a nice rifle bag.

5.11 Cams 3.0 and a VooDoo Deluxe 42" padded rifle case.

81ZZF4XECAL._AC_UL1500_.jpg 511-tactical-cams-30-deployment-bag-double-tap-56475026-7.jpg SmartSelect_20200926-203508_Google.jpg 4636__56307.1560883598-1.jpg SmartSelect_20201001-203235_RoboForm.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who here has ever in their life plugged their own tire? Just curious. I never have.

At the most a portable compressor has been used to keep a tire inflated long enough to limp to a proper shop

I have a few times between 16-middle age. Maybe 4-5 times? It's a very specific use case: a puncture on the face of the tread (can't be sidewall). But a lot of flats are exactly that. And you can plug it in 5 minutes while the tire sits flat-ish in your driveway. I keep a tire plug kit in my recovery bag in my Jeep. Just hadn't thought about it for the Raptor yet.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
********. I need to ask the tire plugging question again.

Anyone under the age of 45 ever plug their own car tire on the side of the road?

Guess I forgot you old guys used to do that all the time