GEN 1 Seek advice on repairs (Bay area)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mehryar

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I bought this moded 2014 Raptor (Mid-travel in the rear and 3.0 in the front on 37s) more than a year ago and have only put 3000 miles on it which was driving from Utah(Dealer) to the Bay area. I really love this truck but it has been a nightmare and has emptied out my pocket.
The truck has turned off while driving 75 MPH on the highway three times now which scared me to death. I got low oil pressure warning on the screen when that happened (The oil is full and new). As soon as I pulled over, I could restart the truck with no problem and the ECU didn't give out any errors.
Now the truck starts but the engine doesn't turn on.
Also lately there has been a whining noise probably coming from the steering since it increased in noise when turning the wheel (This is irrelevant to the problem with the truck turning off)

Now I am not sure if I should tow the truck to a Ford dealership or another mechanical shop. I am between jobs and this is my only truck so I have to fix it as cheaply as I can and probably have to sell it later.
Does anyone know any reasonable shops in the bay area (San jose) that I can trust?
Any help would be much appreciated.

photo_2023-04-07_18-10-17 (2).jpg

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response. It exponentially reduced my stress level :)
So I should probably get a replacement for fuse 27 and see if the truck starts. Hopefully, it works.
Fuse 27 is known to "melt" the wiring underneath. It is a fairly easy fix if caught soon enough.

OP
OP
Mehryar

Mehryar

Reaction score
Fuse 27 is known to "melt" the wiring underneath. It is a fairly easy fix if caught soon enough.
Thank you for your response. I just went by the truck and it did turn on with the key.
I was trying remote start yesterday which had the engine crank but not turn on. I should have tried with the key.
I checked fuse 27 and it looks clean from the top with no burn marks but as you said might have problems underneath which I'll check tomorrow when the sun comes out.
Do you think the fact that the truck has suddenly turned off mid-highway a few times and then worked again after a start can also be caused by fuse 27? Or is it the case only when the truck does not start at all?
Thanks in advance.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I just went by the truck and it did turn on with the key.
I was trying remote start yesterday which had the engine crank but not turn on. I should have tried with the key.
I checked fuse 27 and it looks clean from the top with no burn marks but as you said might have problems underneath which I'll check tomorrow when the sun comes out.
Do you think the fact that the truck has suddenly turned off mid-highway a few times and then worked again after a start can also be caused by fuse 27? Or is it the case only when the truck does not start at all?
Thanks in advance.
yes. i used to live in santa cruz/aptos area. girlfriends parents live in san jose. owend a shop in mountain view. 2 years ago she was driving home in my truck and it just shut off where 280 merges to 101. stuck inbetween 2 highways with a wide body vehicle isnt fun. definitely make sure fuse 27 is repaired and go from there. if it doesnt start, then theres something else, but fuse 27 is the main reason a truck will crank but no start and also for shutting down while driving. as fas as the power steering pump, i have gotten it down to an hour from start to finish.

OP
OP
Mehryar

Mehryar

Reaction score
yes. i used to live in santa cruz/aptos area. girlfriends parents live in san jose. owend a shop in mountain view. 2 years ago she was driving home in my truck and it just shut off where 280 merges to 101. stuck inbetween 2 highways with a wide body vehicle isnt fun. definitely make sure fuse 27 is repaired and go from there. if it doesnt start, then theres something else, but fuse 27 is the main reason a truck will crank but no start and also for shutting down while driving. as fas as the power steering pump, i have gotten it down to an hour from start to finish.
Thanks man. Yeah I know the feeling of shutting off mid-highway. Really stressful. I'm glad it didn't happen on a turn.
I'll take the truck to Ford after I do the fuse 27 relocation. Hopefully the issue with the steering is a simple one. Maybe a bad idler. Will see.
Thanks again for the help and have a nice weekend :)