Seeing that Ford announce that the Raptor R is really coming..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only way to stop the ADMs is to get rid of the monopoly that most automakers have with the dealers. Give the people the option to buy direct from Ford and see how long the ADMs last at dealers.
You've got causality backwards. Dealers buy state politicians. State politicians pass laws saying that only dealers can sell cars. They both stick it to the car makers. The problem with changing the model is that you have to go state by state. It's seriously effed up. If one state, c'mon Texas?, Idaho?, were to change the law to allow direct sales and charge, say a 0.1% sales tax on the transaction, it could be a serious win for everyone. Except the dealers.

But solving your problem will just cause another. The Soviets had that problem. Prices were controlled, so everyone stood in line. For a long time. For everything. You could view the watered down capitalism that we practice as being able to pay off the line monitor to allow you to cut the line. :D

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You've got causality backwards. Dealers buy state politicians. State politicians pass laws saying that only dealers can sell cars. They both stick it to the car makers. The problem with changing the model is that you have to go state by state. It's seriously effed up. If one state, c'mon Texas?, Idaho?, were to change the law to allow direct sales and charge, say a 0.1% sales tax on the transaction, it could be a serious win for everyone. Except the dealers.

But solving your problem will just cause another. The Soviets had that problem. Prices were controlled, so everyone stood in line. For a long time. For everything. You could view the watered down capitalism that we practice as being able to pay off the line monitor to allow you to cut the line. :D

How does Tesla get away with consumer direct? Not being a smart ass. Truly curious though...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope everyone has deep pockets and lives near the desert so you can use a purpose-built truck...

My guess is that we see the Raptor R for the first time in a Baja race. Similar to what Ford did with the Bronco R. Your going to be able to get a Prerunner with a warranty but it will cost you. If Ford follows the same path as they have for the Bronco R this will be a limited run truck and it will cost over $250k. As this article says if you are willing to pay Ford is willing to build. https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/27/ford-bronco-r-for-racing-customers-baja-1000/.

Compare that to a Gen 2 Mid travel setup that costs under $150K for truck, labor, and parts for a very capable setup and if you need to you can take it one step further and 4 link for around $175.
Raptor R already exists and did the Baja 1000, years ago!!!

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Your idea of direct sales sounds good and given the current climate of ADM ‘s along with the public’s loathing of car dealership and their earned reputation to take advantage of customers.

First, I hate ADMs and will never pay one. I think that the manufacturers and dealerships that allow this to happen are ruining their future and destroying their brand value.

That said …up until this strange economic situation that created widespread ADMs (it was mostly limited to CA and high end limited production vehicles)
The consumer has done quite well getting good pricing from current dealership sales model. We paid under invoice etc …for many many years. Competition for business lead to good deals for many consumers —

If the Tesla model was duplicated —zero competition means higher prices…unless you involve Costco. —they never seem to screw the customer.
My 02

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't sold my 5711/1A at double MSRP in 2019. I can't believe what they are bringing now.

Ford has done ADM for years on limited allocation cars. This is the first vehicle I've considered paying ADM on but I stop at the 5k mark. Luckily I have a good relationship with the dealer for my first order and my second order from a new dealer had an allocation without ADM. I think building a relationship with a dealer goes along ways and if they are honest from the get go I will give them future business. Ive already asked for the Bronco Raptor allocation and don't see any issue there besides what will probably be a 1 year wait.

I'm have the same connection with a Ford Dealer GM. Although I have not done an order through them yet for any type of truck/car, I know he wouldn't rake me through the coals if I try to order a Bronco Raptor or Raptor R.