Securing gear in the bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm adding some gear for an upcoming off-road trip and need a way to keep it secure in the bed. I have BuiltrightInd bedside racks but no chase rack or in-bed tire rack. What are good options for containers and keeping said containers from sliding around in the bed? I have a bed mat and have used velcro to secure small items. That may work. Also, are there less expensive container options than Roam?
IMG_1251.jpg

OP
OP
IDontDoUrban

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 320049L track works well to create tie down points on the bed floor.

I use cheap pelican style cases for tools, compressor and recovery gear, that I put up against bed, with one tie down over the top and one across the back. I made a little tray for this set up and it stays secure and out of the way
Nice set up. I have the Retrax Pro cover so I'm limited in what I can do near the cab, but the concept is good. The L-track is a great suggestion. Would help with lumber runs too. I'm looking at this Contico case at Tractor Supply. Reasonable price and you can fit a lot in it. I'd need to come up with a divider system to keep heavy items from bashing each other. Downside is there are no tiedown points on the case. Upside is the Retrax will clear it by 1/4".
TuffBin.png

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you don’t go the route of @Ryan C I could suggest the D ring tie downs on the bed bolts. You gain up to 6 attach points for all manner of stuff. You can use rubber bungees to several ton straps and anything in between.

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also it’s not pictured but I actually use L track to secure a Jack and one tie down point for a tire. The other two tire tie downs are off the KHC bed supports. L track is sweet because it sits below the height of the bed, in the bed floor grooves. So you can run stuff on top and not gouge it or get caught up on it. Lots of fancy tool boxes out there at Home Depot etc that should do the trick for you. Just make sure it’s very well secured for anything serious off-road.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my solution for the Retrax Pro cover. These bins came from Lowes and fit perfectly under the cover at the front of the bed. Their tops snap on tight and they hold quite a lot. They sit on the heavy rubber bed mat and do not move in daily driving. For serious off-roading you could always throw a strap in front of them. These pics were before I added my (2) Built-rite panels at the back of the bed.

gXuSxM.jpg

WWykZA.jpg