Secure storage during roadtrip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squrtcap

Reaction score
I would not use a Raptor as your get out vehicle.
A new 2021 F150 with the V8 and a topper would better suit your needs. Without a doubt, you will exceed the payload and have much worse gas mileage with the Twin Turbo V6.
My 2018 Raptor is not a truck, it is more of an expensive off-road Baja vehicle.
My old 1998 F250 LD is a great 4X4 truck.

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diamondback HD cover, no question. It’s metal, locks, has an additional compartment, has toolbar attachments, and is waterproof - as in it seals the water out completely. 100% worth it. Made my wife stop bugging me about not having an SUV.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do get a tonneau cover, make sure it is not a segmented one - those make the bed nearly useless and they completely block the rear window if you need to load anything large enough to fold up all 3 segments.

I'm going to put a topper on mine, which locks and you can cover anything you put inside of it but makes the bed more useful and is better at keeping things dry as well.
Seriously depends on how you use it. I love the look of the Diamondback, but I am not sure I would 100% agree with avoiding the backflip segmented cover. I have been using them for about a decade, in fact I took the version I had off my 2013 F-150 and moved to my 2018 Raptor. I really like them. About $1000, I can remove it completely in about 15 minutes and it keeps the bed dry except for small leaks around tailgate when it really rains hard or at the car wash.
we use my truck for family traveling all the time.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with rbraptor, diamond back to s the most secure bed cover around. If you travel a lot with all those computers and expensive items I would look into a truck vault ( locking truck bed box) too.

Jedburgh

Reaction score
I went with a set of in-bed drawers and have been very happy with them. They fit perfectly. Secure with the tailgate locked, weatherproof, lots of room, and when pulled out, it's all right in front of you, no having to climb in the bed. While of course they do reduce the bed depth, all the tie-down points are still accessible and I've run lots of big stuff using those with no headache.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously depends on how you use it. I love the look of the Diamondback, but I am not sure I would 100% agree with avoiding the backflip segmented cover. I have been using them for about a decade, in fact I took the version I had off my 2013 F-150 and moved to my 2018 Raptor. I really like them. About $1000, I can remove it completely in about 15 minutes and it keeps the bed dry except for small leaks around tailgate when it really rains hard or at the car wash.
we use my truck for family traveling all the time.
Pretty much my experience. In the last year it leaked a tiny bit a few times if it rained REALLY hard. I am definitely happy with it. Nothing under it would have been damaged from the little bit of water that snuck in.

Raptor302

Reaction score
I would not use a Raptor as your get out vehicle.
A new 2021 F150 with the V8 and a topper would better suit your needs. Without a doubt, you will exceed the payload and have much worse gas mileage with the Twin Turbo V6.
My 2018 Raptor is not a truck, it is more of an expensive off-road Baja vehicle.
My old 1998 F250 LD is a great 4X4 truck.
I disagree, my wife and I switched from an expedition to our 2019 Raptor about a year ago and we travel non stop. We bought the truck specifically for road trips as we have other daily’s. So far we have put over 20k on the clock and we don’t travel light. Both of us agree it is the most comfortable road trip vehicle we have ever owned. But to your point I was very surprised at how much squat the truck has when loaded. Usually with the cab and bed loaded down we average about 16.5-17.5 (premium gas) on the highway. Always drives great even when towing.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
The Diamondback is the cover I have found that takes some time to break into, other covers I use a screwdriver to Jack-their stuff ;)
Plus the top of the lightweight cover will hold 400 pounds

0D877B43-7DD8-4F25-914D-FD99C5061722.jpeg2462834A-9323-40F4-95F0-F6C86B3A5619.jpeg8D742D56-41F0-4986-A4B5-794148AC6FC4.jpegE0618A61-F63D-40F0-B072-B177E422449B.jpeg