Second Thoughts on Raptor... Tremor maybe?

Which vehicle should I get for frequent non Baja four wheeling?

• Stick with the Raptor, a Tremor with a suspension can’t compete

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Go for the Tremor, it will keep up with a Raptor in the rocks

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Overall, it’s sounding like it’s easier to add a few hundred pounds of payload capacity to a Raptor than add a lot of Raptor capability to a Tremor. The F350
I drove had such poor handling. It actually reminded me of a thirty some foot UHaul I rented a while back. Maybe I need to test drive a tremor as well.

Thanks for posting all the info for your build! This sounds like a good route to go to get everything. My plan was Icon plus Geissers but you mentioned that front springs would stress out the front end? Are you just referring to the increased angle of the front axles? I hadn’t considered that...

I’m curious about this As well- doesn’t seem accurate tbh - I would think a collar-type leveling kit may have this effect by compressing the factory spring & causing the a-arms/ball joints to be left @ a slightly different angle, but w/ entirely new taller springs i thought the angles on the a-arms/ball joints would be similar to stock but everything’s just sitting a tad higher??

deaver told me to get +3HDs when I told em “I wanna be able to run eibach springs in front retain factory rake be able to haul 500 lb or so w/o squatting to nose high stance & be able to to 1500-5k w/o being nose high or damaging shocks” FWIW

Now I’m confused b/c the other poster mentioned good results having a spring shop just add leafs to factory springs for reasonable cost & that sounds like it may be an option for what I want while adding eibachs in front....but NEITHER poster mentioned what they did or plan to do w/ factory blocks lol

Who else has added a lead to their raptor?

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall, it’s sounding like it’s easier to add a few hundred pounds of payload capacity to a Raptor than add a lot of Raptor capability to a Tremor. The F350
I drove had such poor handling. It actually reminded me of a thirty some foot UHaul I rented a while back. Maybe I need to test drive a tremor as well.

Thanks for posting all the info for your build! This sounds like a good route to go to get everything. My plan was Icon plus Geissers but you mentioned that front springs would stress out the front end? Are you just referring to the increased angle of the front axles? I hadn’t considered that...

Yeah. Increased angle places pressure on ball joints or CV axle joints. With Eiback only offering 1.75 and Geiser only offering 3.0 inch lifts I'm just not interested for my application. The springs from the RPG BOLT kit are intriguing as they provide some improvement. With my setup I'll need to carry some additional weight in the bed when not connected to the trailer in order to get into the progressive part of the rear leafs for blasting down the road. I think it's the best balance I can accomplish and many many thanks to Deaver for helping me work it out...and by the way...what they talked me into was actually about 400.00 cheaper than their listed springs so I know it was pure advice and not an up sell.

I'd definitely suggest giving them a call and see what they suggest for your particular needs. Seems like you can have a Raptor and use it too...LOL

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of each, an 18 Raptor and a new 2020 powerstroke lariat FX4. The cost of the Tremor (and availability) wasn't worth the extra $$ to me. I can add a level kit and achieve the same thing more or less, but the F350 isn't for any off-road really anyway, it's a tow pig. The new 10 speed is killer. Getting a truck right now is a nightmare, they were shut down for over 6 weeks and there just aren't too many out there. A good buddy owns several Ford dealerships and I was able to find this one out of ND, for invoice less $500 rebate and he gave me $500 of his hold back. Sticker is 72,500ish and I got it for about 64,700. I could have gotten a new Raptor for about the same (72 sticker, 64.5 to me) but I found an 18 with a slew of mods for 55k so I bought it instead. He's expecting over 100 trucks to start showing up here in the next month once they clear through the back log.

As far as driving, the interior of the SD feels about the same size as the Raptor, it's likely a bit larger, but overall about the same. The hood/bed of the SD is a lot larger though, and the truck feels like a bus in overall comparison. I can turn my Raptor around in my street, the SD is a 2-point no matter what. If you're in the city at all, I can't imagine driving the SD around as a daily.

With as much $$ as we're talking about here, maybe get a SD for the toy rig and get a cheap around town car for your daily stuff? Drive the SD when it's nasty out, but otherwise put the miles on the beater? Before I got the Raptor I had my old SD and an 06 Acura TL as my beater car. It was a salvage rebuilt and I paid like 4500 bucks for it.

The interior of the SD is NOT larger; it is the same. The cabs themselves are identical. I had a 2017 loaded Lariat diesel F-250 before my first Raptor. I had nothing but trouble with it (lots of minor issues) rode rough, much less capable offroad, harder to park, much higher maintenance cost, less acceleration, no increased mileage even with the diesel. It was a lumbering beast, and I don't do any heavy towing or hauling that an F-150 can't do, so I got rid of it. The ONLY thing I miss is the higher ride height.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol- he said it has “tons of power” cuz that’s what he’s got in it. What it has is adequate power. The diesel has “TONS” of it

Coming from a 3.5 EB F-150 that was his assessment. He also really likes the 10 speed in it for driving and towing. He’s never driven the diesel. I’m sure the Diesel is better, but he drives about 8K miles per year and tows less than 10K so the diesel and it’s additional maintenance/complexity didn’t make sense.

Have you driven the new 7.3 gasser? I haven’t nor have many people as there aren’t a ton of them out there yet.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Coming from a 3.5 EB F-150 that was his assessment. He also really likes the 10 speed in it for driving and towing. He’s never driven the diesel. I’m sure the Diesel is better, but he drives about 8K miles per year and tows less than 10K so the diesel and it’s additional maintenance/complexity didn’t make sense.

Have you driven the new 7.3 gasser? I haven’t nor have many people as there aren’t a ton of them out there yet.

In all honesty no, but I have driven the previous gen diesel w/ “less” power & I can’t imagine a gas engine being comparable. In fairness tho- I agree the shorter gears & 10 speed auto I’m sure make the best use possible of what powers available.

reality tho I imagine factoring in the additional weight you’re not much better off in terms of HP per lbs of vehicle

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look we are all speaking from experience right? I have owned 1 Raptor and two Superdutys. All three have been awesome trucks. I went with the Tremor this time over a new Raptor. I have the 7.3 and so far it has been great. Truck rides incredibly smooth. And I couldn’t be happier with the fit and finish. I agree on the Carli option down the road. It’s just a different animal than the Raptor. There isn’t a bad choice.

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been in a few late model super duty’s and I love that diesel clatter and big, imposing feel. But, that’s a downside too. It’s a big, HEAVY, heavy-duty truck that feels pretty ponderous driving around.

Unless you need to tow or haul a lot frequently, I think 90% of people are better served by a half-ton. And the best half-ton on the market is the Raptor IMHO.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it helps I am in the process of setting up my Raptor for more payload. I'm looking for that unicorn of more payload while retaining the Raptors amazing off road capabilities. My situation is...I purchased a Patriot Camper Trailer...model X3 if you're interested. I want to go off grid camping and Raptoring. The trailer tongue weight will be 285-420 depending on trailer loading. Bed of truck will carry recover gear and incidentals with everything else in the trailer. Faces with all the normal dilemma's I opted to leave the front end alone rather than add springs which stresses front end comonents. THe only way to really improve the front end is to get the RPG BLOC kit or something equivalent for around 5k. In the rear I want to carry 6-7 hundred lbs including maxed out trailer tongue weight. After talking to RPG and Deaver about my options they came with something unique that I haven't seen on the forums before.

1). Deaver will build a custom set of springs. Deaver did not suggest any of their listed products be it SD or HD. In stead they are going to use take off stock OEM Raptor springs, re arching them and adding 2 additional custome leafs. The end result will be an additional 1 inch of lift over factory, still progressive but overall more stiff.

2). From RPG I am installing their stage 2 rear suspension kit with Fox 2.5 bump stops.

When completed I will have a reinforced frame resulting from the RPG kit. a 1 inch lift on slightly stiffer springs. The truck will perform better when not towing and be able to handle 6-700 pound with a level ride. Effective giving me an 18-1900lb payload while improving on the Raptor's already amazing qualities.

RPG also mentioned that I could buy just the springs from their BLOC kit for a slight improvement without a lift. This is the closest you can get the Raptor to being the best of all worlds without crazy money...in my case all in I'm at about 3500

Did you remove the rear blocks?

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of us didn’t buy a Raptor because we were mature. We bought it because we have the financial means and the 12 year old inside all of us convinced us it was a good idea!

Couldn’t agree more. In my 50’s and I got this hot little red number and put B pillar appliqués with claw-marks...and a whole bunch of mostly unnecessary but fun mods or bling. Couldn’t be any more juvenile than that, but I love it that way!!!