Second Thoughts on Raptor... Tremor maybe?

Which vehicle should I get for frequent non Baja four wheeling?

• Stick with the Raptor, a Tremor with a suspension can’t compete

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Go for the Tremor, it will keep up with a Raptor in the rocks

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Cab on 2015-2020 F-150 and 2017-2020 250/350/450/Raptor are all the same item. Interiors on all 2015-2020 are almost identical except for glove box trim.

I think even the 2021 F-150 cab is identical to 2015-2020, with different front doors and a new interior.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I only was looking at a Tremor due to the Raptor's low payload capacity. Maybe I can address this with Deaver HD's or Icon's though... I need maybe 1500lbs total, not what some of these HD trucks are rated to so maybe a 250 is overkill.

If it helps I am in the process of setting up my Raptor for more payload. I'm looking for that unicorn of more payload while retaining the Raptors amazing off road capabilities. My situation is...I purchased a Patriot Camper Trailer...model X3 if you're interested. I want to go off grid camping and Raptoring. The trailer tongue weight will be 285-420 depending on trailer loading. Bed of truck will carry recover gear and incidentals with everything else in the trailer. Faces with all the normal dilemma's I opted to leave the front end alone rather than add springs which stresses front end comonents. THe only way to really improve the front end is to get the RPG BLOC kit or something equivalent for around 5k. In the rear I want to carry 6-7 hundred lbs including maxed out trailer tongue weight. After talking to RPG and Deaver about my options they came with something unique that I haven't seen on the forums before.

1). Deaver will build a custom set of springs. Deaver did not suggest any of their listed products be it SD or HD. In stead they are going to use take off stock OEM Raptor springs, re arching them and adding 2 additional custome leafs. The end result will be an additional 1 inch of lift over factory, still progressive but overall more stiff.

2). From RPG I am installing their stage 2 rear suspension kit with Fox 2.5 bump stops.

When completed I will have a reinforced frame resulting from the RPG kit. a 1 inch lift on slightly stiffer springs. The truck will perform better when not towing and be able to handle 6-700 pound with a level ride. Effective giving me an 18-1900lb payload while improving on the Raptor's already amazing qualities.

RPG also mentioned that I could buy just the springs from their BLOC kit for a slight improvement without a lift. This is the closest you can get the Raptor to being the best of all worlds without crazy money...in my case all in I'm at about 3500

D

Deleted member 17706

If it helps I am in the process of setting up my Raptor for more payload. I'm looking for that unicorn of more payload while retaining the Raptors amazing off road capabilities. My situation is...I purchased a Patriot Camper Trailer...model X3 if you're interested. I want to go off grid camping and Raptoring. The trailer tongue weight will be 285-420 depending on trailer loading. Bed of truck will carry recover gear and incidentals with everything else in the trailer. Faces with all the normal dilemma's I opted to leave the front end alone rather than add springs which stresses front end comonents. THe only way to really improve the front end is to get the RPG BLOC kit or something equivalent for around 5k. In the rear I want to carry 6-7 hundred lbs including maxed out trailer tongue weight. After talking to RPG and Deaver about my options they came with something unique that I haven't seen on the forums before.

1). Deaver will build a custom set of springs. Deaver did not suggest any of their listed products be it SD or HD. In stead they are going to use take off stock OEM Raptor springs, re arching them and adding 2 additional custome leafs. The end result will be an additional 1 inch of lift over factory, still progressive but overall more stiff.

2). From RPG I am installing their stage 2 rear suspension kit with Fox 2.5 bump stops.

When completed I will have a reinforced frame resulting from the RPG kit. a 1 inch lift on slightly stiffer springs. The truck will perform better when not towing and be able to handle 6-700 pound with a level ride. Effective giving me an 18-1900lb payload while improving on the Raptor's already amazing qualities.

RPG also mentioned that I could buy just the springs from their BLOC kit for a slight improvement without a lift. This is the closest you can get the Raptor to being the best of all worlds without crazy money...in my case all in I'm at about 3500

It’s the RPG BOLT kit. If you are buying a trailer to pull, then why do you need a 1800-1900lb payload? That’s a bunch of weight to have in your bed plus a trailer.

No doubt the RPG and Deaver will improve your payload, and towing. But your not bombing through the desert with 1800lb in the bed and towing a trailer. That’s more overlanding than off-roading.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what the OP was thinking the vote would be? Just checked. Yup, it's a Raptor forum.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw the tremor at SEMA. Real nice truck. I recently added 3 feet to my garage so I could park the Raptor in it. I’d have to build out on my neighbor’s property to park the Tremor. :lol:

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the RPG BOLT kit. If you are buying a trailer to pull, then why do you need a 1800-1900lb payload? That’s a bunch of weight to have in your bed plus a trailer.

No doubt the RPG and Deaver will improve your payload, and towing. But your not bombing through the desert with 1800lb in the bed and towing a trailer. That’s more overlanding than off-roading.

Thank you for the correction. Yes the BOLT kit. Stock payload is 1100. Rear spring mod will increase the ability to carry load by 6-700lbs without squatting past level. Without the trailer connected I will be sitting at exactly stock height due to my recovery gear and off road sundries weighing around 100lbs. According to Deaver the rear will behave much better than stock without the trailer connected and I can tow without squatting beyond level. Seems like I will be able to blast through the desert and ALSO overland my trailer. They did not recommend their listed springs as they are too soft for towing...doesn't matter SD or HD...their words not mine. Think of it this way. Guys that add the listed Deaver springs report fantastic results blasting through the desert. This is accomplished by stiffening the rear springs...simplisticly speaking....which will also have the effect of reducing rear end squat and increasing payload...guessing about 300lbs....my mod is simply an additional 300lbs of what you get with the list springs. Just enough to be able to tow a trailer for over landing and still retain Raptor qualities. What Deaver can do with increasing stiffness while also increasing progressiveness is impressive and necessary to find the right balance for any given need and in my case to create a unicorn...LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DrJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall, it’s sounding like it’s easier to add a few hundred pounds of payload capacity to a Raptor than add a lot of Raptor capability to a Tremor. The F350
I drove had such poor handling. It actually reminded me of a thirty some foot UHaul I rented a while back. Maybe I need to test drive a tremor as well.

Thanks for posting all the info for your build! This sounds like a good route to go to get everything. My plan was Icon plus Geissers but you mentioned that front springs would stress out the front end? Are you just referring to the increased angle of the front axles? I hadn’t considered that...

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My brother has the F-250 Tremor with the new 7.3 gasser. He loves the truck, but it’s a big bastard with a wide turning radius. He hasn’t tried crawling with it, his off-roading might be out in the woods to go hunting. He loves it for towing 9500# worth of boat. He said it gets about 9 mpg towing and has tons of power, so maybe the diesel isn’t worth all the cost and ******** these days.

The wheelbase of the truck might present some issues, but it does sit pretty tall. Carli makes good parts, I looked at going that route for my 2500. Regardless of kit, I would expect the F-250 to ride significantly harder than the Raptor both on and off road.

Personally I’m downsizing from a 2500 to the Raptor I ordered, I wanted a shorter and lighter truck for daily driving. My 2500 was useless in any kind of rocks both in size and weight, but that is what my Bronco is for.

Lol- he said it has “tons of power” cuz that’s what he’s got in it. What it has is adequate power. The diesel has “TONS” of it