Second Thoughts on Raptor... Tremor maybe?

Which vehicle should I get for frequent non Baja four wheeling?

• Stick with the Raptor, a Tremor with a suspension can’t compete

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Go for the Tremor, it will keep up with a Raptor in the rocks

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As most of you know, after the debacle with my Raptor in the hands of the lead technician at Ford, I now have a brand new Raptor on the way supposed to arrive next month. However, I’ve been thinking about getting a Tremor + Carli suspension instead. Just like the Raptor, the Tremor would cost Invoice minus holdback.

I do a lot of four wheeling and camping, close to every weekend now. Most is more rock crawling than Baja though.

Like many on here, my main compliant is payload. Adding a winch, bumpers, racks, toppers, cargo, dogs and passengers eats up that 1k lbs pretty quick.

So what do you guys think? Could a Tremor powerstroke with a 2.5” Carli suspension fulfill this role? I have yet to see any superduty out on the trail so I’m a bit suspicious.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother has the F-250 Tremor with the new 7.3 gasser. He loves the truck, but it’s a big bastard with a wide turning radius. He hasn’t tried crawling with it, his off-roading might be out in the woods to go hunting. He loves it for towing 9500# worth of boat. He said it gets about 9 mpg towing and has tons of power, so maybe the diesel isn’t worth all the cost and ******** these days.

The wheelbase of the truck might present some issues, but it does sit pretty tall. Carli makes good parts, I looked at going that route for my 2500. Regardless of kit, I would expect the F-250 to ride significantly harder than the Raptor both on and off road.

Personally I’m downsizing from a 2500 to the Raptor I ordered, I wanted a shorter and lighter truck for daily driving. My 2500 was useless in any kind of rocks both in size and weight, but that is what my Bronco is for.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me personally if I didn't have my 2020 raptor it would be a F250 with a 7.3 and a whipple SC with the carli 2.5 kit. I do like and respect what that platform could provide but the raptor is more of what I need and want in a truck. I didn't need it to haul mass amounts, I need it to be quick and fun for the trips to Dutch bros for my wife , carry my sons basketball training gear and me to enjoy at high speeds off road, some climbing and sending it from time to time

I don't look at the tremor as a " fun " truck like I do the raptor so for those reasons I chose the raptor. Neither is a bad choice imo but they are two completely different trucks for two completely different buyers imo

RaptorMan703

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read that whole thread on your Raptor ordeal. Crazy! How many miles were on the truck before they put 400 on?

Either truck would be awesome, but you’re talking to a biased crowd :birgits_tiredcoffee

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you even ask that question on a Raptor forum? Now I ask some doozies, but geebus!

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I went from a 2012 Ram 2500 Power Wagon to my 2020 Ford Raptor. High on the list was the Ford Super Duty with the Tremor Package and the 7.3L V-8. After 3 months and just over 3,000 miles I'm still on the fence about whether I made the right decision or not. There's a lot of things the Raptor does really well, and it gets good fuel economy for a truck (I average between 17mpg and 18mpg). The biggest issue I have with the Raptor is twice now I've driven in really windy conditions, and the Raptor get's pushed around a lot more than my Power Wagon did.

Right now I'd say I really like my Raptor, but I definitely don't love it. It's a great truck, and honestly I can't say a bad thing about it. For some reason though, I'm just not in love with the truck. I know I'll have it for a while, but it won't be the 8 year relationship I've had with my last two trucks. I'll either have a Tremor, TRX, or another Power Wagon in the future.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tremor won’t be as capable off road even less so if you equip it with the Diesel. If you actually need the added payload and towing capacity then go for it, otherwise stick with the Rap. If you do go 250 Tremor, I personally would opt for the 7.3 gas. It’ll be noticeably better off road due to the weight difference and you actually get more payload with it, again due to the weight difference. Cheaper to get into and maintain as well.

Both trucks are bad ass in their own way, can’t really go wrong with either.

ED1D9B57-868D-4381-A517-9170BAAED76B.jpeg

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went from a 2012 Ram 2500 Power Wagon to my 2020 Ford Raptor. High on the list was the Ford Super Duty with the Tremor Package and the 7.3L V-8. After 3 months and just over 3,000 miles I'm still on the fence about whether I made the right decision or not. There's a lot of things the Raptor does really well, and it gets good fuel economy for a truck (I average between 17mpg and 18mpg). The biggest issue I have with the Raptor is twice now I've driven in really windy conditions, and the Raptor get's pushed around a lot more than my Power Wagon did.

Right now I'd say I really like my Raptor, but I definitely don't love it. It's a great truck, and honestly I can't say a bad thing about it. For some reason though, I'm just not in love with the truck. I know I'll have it for a while, but it won't be the 8 year relationship I've had with my last two trucks. I'll either have a Tremor, TRX, or another Power Wagon in the future.

I just recently replaced the stock tires with 35x12.5x17 load range E KO2’s and it’s made the truck a bit more sure footed in those conditions. I also no longer feel the back and forth rocking when coming to a complete stop with 3/4 tank from the fuel swishing around. It’s a slightly more jarring ride on poorly maintained roads but not as bad as I had imagined. I wouldn’t use them for high speed dessert running with jumps but I’ve done plenty of low speed crawling and medium speed sprints on dirt and have been pleased with the trade off.

Owen Grady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a raptor to a 250 with a carli 2.5 kit. It still rides rougher but I like it. Both are very different so its gonna depend on your situation. If you're going to carli the suspension anyway it seems like a waste to pay extra for the tremor package the only thing you'd really be adding is the locker?

20200520_141645.jpg