Seattle Area Trails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got some good spots to recommend within an hour or two from Seattle? Just some light overland, even some forest roads with nice views etc.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
@Nex Is up that way. He may know trails that are safe where he hasn't hidden the bodies

No such trail exists anymore.

Walker Valley ORP is one road. The park is mostly a dirt bike park.

Moses Lake for dune Raptor fun.

I have gone outside of Ellensburg the last few times.

BDR Washington has some tight trails but I would go by yourself.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tahuya maybe. Mostly for ATVs. Capital forest near Olympia. Used to be an off road park out there when I lived there. Strattleline or something like that.

OP
OP
A

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m familiar with Tahuya and Walker from dirt biking.

I guess I’m looking more for remote forest roads with big views. Never quite sure how to find ones that aren’t gated without trial and failure…

OP
OP
A

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try this, I used these almost exclusively until I got the GAIA APP.
I still use them today , I like to see the big picture.

Washington Road & Recreation Atlas (Benchmark Recreation Atlases) https://a.co/d/b141wfu

Thanks, although I still wonder if/how you can know whether or not FS roads are gated or not? I think I'll just need to take a day off to go exploring.

I want to find some clearings with good views that would be suitable spots to camp with the kids.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thanks, although I still wonder if/how you can know whether or not FS roads are gated or not? I think I'll just need to take a day off to go exploring.

I want to find some clearings with good views that would be suitable spots to camp with the kids.
Most of the time you don’t know until you drive up to it. Both GAIA and the Maps will show “SOME” gates.
The rule of the Trail is, always leave a Gate in the condition you found it, opened or closed.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
IMHO you are making the same mistakes that I did when I was younger and even more OCD.
Don’t try to plan your Adventures like a Google Map trip to Grandmas.
Pass by a Dirt Road, turn down it and see where it goes. Hit the Record button on your GAIA App, run it out, make notes and save it to do again, finish or drop a pin at it indicating NO GO.
All sorts of sayings etc. It’s about the Journey, Not the Destination.
I use to drive my wife crazy with having everything planned to the last step on a Hike or turn on a Trail.
That’s why I reminisce about the days of NO MFING NAV APPS and Social Influencing MFers. You actually had to just get your azzzzszz out and Explore… :driver::driver::grd::happy175:
As always I’ve forgotten where I was going with this… but good luck and
HAVE FUN EXPLORING

OP
OP
A

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO you are making the same mistakes that I did when I was younger and even more OCD.
Don’t try to plan your Adventures like a Google Map trip to Grandmas.
Pass by a Dirt Road, turn down it and see where it goes. Hit the Record button on your GAIA App, run it out, make notes and save it to do again, finish or drop a pin at it indicating NO GO.
All sorts of sayings etc. It’s about the Journey, Not the Destination.
I use to drive my wife crazy with having everything planned to the last step on a Hike or turn on a Trail.
That’s why I reminisce about the days of NO MFING NAV APPS and Social Influencing MFers. You actually had to just get your azzzzszz out and Explore… :driver::driver::grd::happy175:
As always I’ve forgotten where I was going with this… but good luck and
HAVE FUN EXPLORING

For sure--that's how I want to do it, just go exploring and see what I find. Thanks!