Seat belts broken-out of stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKD

Reaction score
Sorry for the Novel but I’m going to ask a question. Last October I took the truck out on a trip. As I was leaving, the lower portion of the rear passenger side belt malfunctioned (wouldn’t loosen after retracting fully). Midway through the trip, the upper portion of the rear driver side belt did the same (also wouldn’t loosen after retraction).

I had already had an appointment for cam phaser rattle and took it in near the end of October. Dealer told me all three parts (phasers and both belts) needed replacement. Go figure. They told me all three problem parts were on back order. Figured I could be patient, couldn’t take more than a couple weeks, right?

I hadn’t heard from them by early December ( which was about 5 or six weeks into it) so I called. Told me they had the phasers, the drivers belt was coming soon, but the passenger side belt didn’t even have an eta.

Fast forward to today, still no info. I figured Id contact the dealership again in the next week or two but I’m worried they still won’t have the rear passenger belt. By then it would be about three months since I first took it in. I’m trying to calibrate what my response should be if that’s the case. What would you guys do? Is a wait like this normal? Do I try a different dealership? Is there someone else I should contact? The dealership has taken good care of me so far, Its not on them (although the silence is annoying).

Just curious what everyone else would do in your situation. Sorry for the novel. Thanks for your consideration.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What would you guys do? Is a wait like this normal? Do I try a different dealership? Is there someone else I should contact? The dealership has taken good care of me so far, Its not on them (although the silence is annoying).

Just curious what everyone else would do in your situation

No apology, your situation is a great case for forum use !

So, your phasers are in, 1 belt may be coming soon, one is unknown.

No, that’s not normal. You should try to work through this stealership if possible.

<sidetrack>
so, a while back - 18+ months, I busted the moonroof track. Although there’s no mention of required maintenance and there have been scores of hundreds of posts about busted moonroof tracks, I wrongly figured it wouldn’t happen to me.

The breakage was 100% my fault, I just, plain and simple forgot the pop to vent workaround and hadn’t yet picked up the Krytox grease. I’d say that I was aware of the issue about 2-3 months when this broke.

Warranty covered it, but here’s what happened. My local stealership diagnosed, and said we’ll order parts. I asked how long and they said 1-2 weeks. I said “sure, I’ll take the truck, not use the moonroof, call me when the parts are in and we’ll get this done”. It had already been several days just to get the official diagnosis.

2 weeks go by, no word. I’m in the neighborhood, drop by: Parts says “what parts?” go to service advisor, he says ‘that’s weird, your parts were delivered’. Team huddle. Lots of discussion, different people join / leave until the huddle breaks at about 5 minutes.

It seems that since my truck wasn’t in the shop, the parts were used on another truck. Apparently that shouldn’t happen, but it did. So, they order the parts again, make appointment, get it fixed.

Moral of the story: Verify all of your parts are at the stealership before they tear down your truck to a non-drivable condition. Don’t just trust them that they have the parts, make them check.

</sidetrack>

service manager should be involved now. You need the belts fixed, it’s a legit safety issue, not some piece of trim with a cosmetic flaw. Ask them to search other dealer inventory and escalate the issue with Ford on the seat belt parts.

My previous experience definitely colors my suggestion here but I’d strongly consider getting the phasers fixed sooner, rather than later so that your parts aren’t appropriated for another truck.

Even when my stealership used the parts for my truck elsewhere, I was the total opposite of “that guy”. I was for sure very disappointed, and a little angry, but, I did my best to not let that show. I dropped multiple customer service-esque “I understand... things happen... I can tell this bothers you but let me assure you, I completely understand” -- I want to have a good local stealership service department relationship, even if they screw up.

One day I may need them going to bat for me, and I want them to want to get my truck in tip top shape, rather than dread having to deal with me.

good luck!

OP
OP
MKD

MKD

Reaction score
Update. Called the dealer, still no eta. He had me call ford to try to push it along, which seemed to go nowhere. I made an appointment to fix the phasers and one of the belts, so at least one other child can ride in the back (it’s been a juggle with four kids getting to and from places). This is Getting a little frustrating

Is anyone else waiting three plus months for ford parts?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are some members waiting 6 months for a motor, there was one member waiting 3 months for a headlight on his Gen 3, I think he gave up and returned the truck. It is not uncommon. You can look on Tasca website and Rockauto and other Ford dealer sites for the part and see for yourself if the dealer is a stealer or legit.

OP
OP
MKD

MKD

Reaction score
For anyone else with a similar issue, finally got the parts in-15 months after issue was raised. Better late than never