SDHQ hood bracket install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing who has tackled the install of the SDHQ(or similar) hood mount brackets on their Gen 1?. Gen 2 looks super simple compared to the Gen 1. I have had the brackets and lights laying around and finally want to tackle this. Watched a few installs on youtube and the hood alignment seems to be the nightmare part. One guy threw in the towel and took it to a shop because he could not get the hood aligned properly. Any tips would be greatly appreciated to avoid having that happen. Assuming a second set of hands wouldnt be a bad idea.

WHBD

Reaction score
I've been meaning to grab a set; If you want to help eachother mount, realign, let me know.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm waiting to do the exact thing on mine. I've had the brackets and lights coming up on a year. Gonna try to install next month when the weather gets better but I am not looking forward to the hood alignment. I think I'm gonna outline the factory settings with marker so I know where to put it back.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just use a silver sharpie or other similar marker to mark the position of the hood brackets before you loosen anything. You may still need to make minor tweaks afterward, but the marks should help you get very close right off the bat.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to grab a set; If you want to help eachother mount, realign, let me know.
Appreciate the offer, a buddy of mine with a gen2 is going to give me a hand but I am getting impatient and may just have a go at it solo.

Just use a silver sharpie or other similar marker to mark the position of the hood brackets before you loosen anything. You may still need to make minor tweaks afterward, but the marks should help you get very close right off the bat.
I was thinking something along these lines would get me close enough. Might just have a go at it.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
youll want to grind one side of the washer flat on the hood bolts. itll rub on the bracket and makes it difficult to get the bolt started straight without crossthreading it.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to pop the struts off before pulling the hood bracket bolts and have a buddy to hold the hood up!
youll want to grind one side of the washer flat on the hood bolts. itll rub on the bracket and makes it difficult to get the bolt started straight without crossthreading it.
Good to know, thank you both.

roush_14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both good tips, I did the reverse a few months ago when I took a set off. easiest way to realign hood is take both struts off and hood latch. tighten nuts so they just drag a little, slowly lower hood watching it does not hit fenders then shift hood into alignment. lift hood back up gently and fully tighten nuts, reinstall struts, hood latch and adjust latch.