SCT X4 w/ 5-Star Tunes - One Week Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes one thing to remember guys always check for firmware updates. i had an issue the other day but was easily fixed and SCT told me i needed a firmware update. working smoothly now but just keep it updated. also if u update your device make sure to revert the truck back to stock FIRST

BlackRapto

Reaction score
I am a new 2014 Raptor, I am going through yes and no's right now. Cat back and Intake. The question is a Tune. I was able to get me dealer to add the 100k B2B warranty, if I run the Tune I void certain warranty. Please help with Pros and Cons.

Really appreciate it!

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I retrun to stock before a visit to dealer. Not sure if they can tell that you have run a tune, maybe they can see that is has been changed? I have swapped tunes maybe 4 times in 3 months and the time it was at the dealer I don't think they needed to hook up to the computer since it was for a rear window replacement.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Returning to stock helps. But it must be known that tuning your Raptor is always a risk to voiding your warranty. The dealerships have the ability to use their scanner to determine if the truck has been tuned. They normally do not check that for most warranty repairs unless your repair is a major one that leads them to believe that something major has been changed. For example, let's say you go in for a power steering pump issue, because it is such a common problem, they will probably not even look in the ECM for anything out of the ordinary, but let's say your transmission (although EXTREMELY RARE and almost unheard of) bites the dust or your differential blows up and the truck has to be towed to the dealership. Since they aren't common issues, they may feel the need to check into the truck deeper to determine if possible tuning changes caused the failure.

that being said, there are indeed dealerships out there that will go the extra mile to try and find aftermarket upgrades and void your warranty. Custom tuning is always a risky choice and you have to be prepared for that to happen.

OP
OP
BAJASVT

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Baja what tune did u change, ur 93performance?
The reason I ask is this happens to me too, so I switched to the tow tune but I want to be able to use the other ones too.

5-Star altered my 93 Performance tune, but they emailed me a new one and I did not have to replace my original 93 Performance tune. The X4 holds 10 tunes, so I renamed the new one as "93 Performance (Modified)". I believe the X3 may only hold 5 tunes, so if that's what you have you may have to delete one to make room for something additional.

yes one thing to remember guys always check for firmware updates. i had an issue the other day but was easily fixed and SCT told me i needed a firmware update. working smoothly now but just keep it updated. also if u update your device make sure to revert the truck back to stock FIRST

Yes. I tried to update the firmware on my X4 with the SCT software and received a message stating that the truck must be returned to stock before I could do so.

The SCT software also allows you to download the truck's factory tune from the tuner and save it. I recommend doing this just in case the SCT tuner becomes damaged, lost, stolen, etc. I have to assume you'd need to get the dealership involved to restore your truck in this situation and you didn't have a copy of your OE tune.

That being said, there are indeed dealerships out there that will go the extra mile to try and find aftermarket upgrades and void your warranty. Custom tuning is always a risky choice and you have to be prepared for that to happen.

Totally agree! On the flip side, there are dealerships that are willing to look the other way too. My dealership is very mod friendly; I was there a few weeks ago when a guy brought in a F-150 that had a 6" lift, 4.56 gears, intake, exhaust, and tuner... the dealership was doing warranty work on the transmission. All dealers are different and a lot has to do with your relationship with them in general (i.e. Do you buy all your vehicles from them, do you have your scheduled maintenance performed by them, are you married to the owners daughter, etc.). Talk to your service manager to see how they feel about performing warranty repairs on modded trucks if you're on the fence about a tuner or anything else.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update on my 91 performance tune. It is fun and for sure makes the truck feel faster. I just did a test for the the shifting issue that BajaSVT is talking about using the cruise control and it is there at the 39-42mph range but in normal driving for me I would not see it since I don't see that speed range often. I did get it to occur off cruise but still not a issue for me. I will say that in town gas milage is not great even if you are soft peddling it. Going to run it through the next out of town trip to see how it is on the highway.

With that said I may still be interested in the modded version if it makes the overall tune smother and maybe better I will wait to hear how it goes for BajaSVT.

By the way Chris at Freedom is great to work with!!

Last edited:

TAZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAHASVT,

Let us know if your issue gets resolved. Your shift cycling is pretty much exactly what mine does on the 91 Performance tune up. Once Mike gets our figured out, maybe I try a similar tune up and see if it resolves mine.