SCREW vs. SCAB for Off Road need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a SCREW for all the reasons mentioned above. Unless you absolutely need the reduced size it is much nicer having the big truck. I recently took my SCREW on a trip with a bunch of toyota people and handily drove over much of their crawling terrain in 2WD. Shit they had to get into 4LO to get over or through wasn't much match for the Raptor suspension travel and better driving skills. As with everything it's a tradeoff. The increased room is better 99.9% of the time for me.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm like the OP. I am empty nest, just my wife and I and a two 50lb dogs. I choose a SCAB in 2013 with no regrets. It's way easier to park in day to day driving too. The one downside for me is that in the gen 1 SCAB the floor was not flat but in Gen 2 it is. I say SCAB for your situation. Will you take more than 2 people on trips over 2-3 hours? I have not.

K-9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Screw and it is great. I like the looks of the scab but in the end what won for me was the bigger gas tank. 36 vs 23 gallons is a lot.

On the 2017 I don't like the screw dual pane sunroof so I am trying to get over the gas tank thing but likely after market sunroof if I have to have to have one. I did not use it a lot so maybe I skip it if I have to get a new raptor now?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Moab is awesome in a Raptor. I loved the looks on the those Jeep *******'s faces when we did what they did in a pickup truck. Plus, there was no way they were going to keep up with us in the sand flats. Nothing better than sticking your 3 ton + truck on top of some of those rocks and getting pictures. These trucks are more than sand / desert trucks, and places like Moab, the Rocky Mountains and wintertime in the great white north are great places to showcase their capabilities.

MetalNeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal experience is I had a fully built Scab, insane. Loved it. Sold it. Reason? 5.4 motor. Nothing can touch it offroad. I now have a Screw. Super comfortable, love the 6.2, but no matter how badass the build, the scab is the better platform if you go all the way. Now, if you are a mid pack driver, don't want to completely tear up your truck, and you don't want to commit to a podium package or better with full cage, then go for comfort of the screw. Another advantage of the screw is the larger fuel tank which is a nice convenience as many of the groups plan their trips around the capacity of a screw so scabbers will need to use the 5 gallon fuel jug at times. But really, the truth is, they are both incredible platforms, and if one is really to go crazy on a build, then just get an F150 as there will be nothing raptor left of a truly large scale build. Yes everyone?

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a screw owner and need as much cargo room and fuel range that I can get. I also appreciate the tighter turning radius of the crew. But in your situ. I'd probably go scab because it's just you and the dogs. I overpack and sometimes need to use the second row load floor, probably a non issue for you and the pooches.