GEN 1 scratchy/gravel noise at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitt1al

Reaction score
My 2013 6.2L with 85k miles has recently started being noticeably louder at idle. Its a rough scratchy or gravel type sound. Almost like static on a TV.

The idle is stable and doesn't bounce at all.

The AC being on or off doesn't change the noise.

I replaced the 2 idlers pulleys as 1 was definately in poor shape and are cheap enough. Didn't seem to help.

Next I will check the tensioner pulley.

Any other ideas on what could make that scratchy noise?

Thanks,

Adam

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you on
My 2013 6.2L with 85k miles has recently started being noticeably louder at idle. Its a rough scratchy or gravel type sound. Almost like static on a TV.

The idle is stable and doesn't bounce at all.

The AC being on or off doesn't change the noise.

I replaced the 2 idlers pulleys as 1 was definately in poor shape and are cheap enough. Didn't seem to help.

Next I will check the tensioner pulley.

Any other ideas on what could make that scratchy noise?

Thanks,

Adam
Are you on your stock alternator? How old is your belt? Idler pulley is a good idea given that another pulley wasn't happy, and it's the same pulley as I recall.

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
The alternator was replaced before i bought the truck. Only has a couple thousand miles on it.

Guess I'll pull that tensioner arm off tomorrow and see how that one feels.

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
It was the tensioner pulley. So much better, now all I hear is the power steering faintly whining. Back to normal lol.