School me on off road GPS systems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what I've used in the past for remote touring has been either my iPad with gps mapping apps such as mud maps or oziexplorer, or my Hema HN7 gps with off road mapping.

Now I noticed here everyone is using lowrance, there to me were always marine units.
Back home the competition guys tended to use Garmin units.

Why do you use lowrance. How do you get the maps on there and trails?
Can I just mount my iPad with mapping?
Are there any other choices?

Cheers fellas

Last edited:

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anything with a gps and mapping feature can be used. Most use either Motion - X and Dual gps puck or the Lowrance. Lowrance is easier because everyone is on the same page, takes one memory card and everyone has the same map.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Here is one recent discussion on MotionX:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f114/motion-x-hd-setup-44109/

The Lowrance is popular with the off-road racing folks and a lot of that has to do with the number of waypoints and breadcrumbs they can store. They are good for mapping a route and showing a route. However, they can not do any on-road nav and usually don't have any sort of background map, unless a base map is loaded.

OP
OP
Aussiesvt

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I'm used to using topographic maps while off roading.

Guess I'll have to look into Lowrance gps so I can be like the cool kids :p

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I'm used to using topographic maps while off roading.

Guess I'll have to look into Lowrance gps so I can be like the cool kids :p

The other option is an android tablet with Back Country Navigator. Its also a popular option here.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Major drawback to tablets is downloading the maps prior to your adventure. Even with a cellular powered tablet you will often find yourself outside of coverage when you need it to load. That's where the dual xgps comes into play but the map of the area still needs downloaded if you want to see it. Hypothetically you wouldn't have to if a track was loaded. I was too drunk on Snoball to download the next day's maps but it'll still show you the track and your location. Worked for me but don't get lost because you can't see any roads or trails. Lol. Next go around I will have a dedicated gps like lowrance.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score