GEN 1 SCabs with Sony - Replacing Sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justbob

Reaction score
That is the sub, not self powered, I’d have to bolt a separate amp beside it, behind the 2/3 seat.
I guess my question is also, how well will a “downward facing” sub sound aimed at the metal panel of the back of the cab? I assumed I’d need the dynamat to keep it from reverberating and sounding tinny.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally upgraded! See here: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...our-raptor-today.25089/page-2666#post-1865305

My installer can build more of these boxes if you want to go the same route

324571120_535302948544393_6008674016104201278_n-jpg.388451

325159643_1207241446665056_1259281627027138198_n-jpg.388449
I take it this sub is powered with a separate amp? All I want to do is replace the factory sub and use the factory amp/wires.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it this sub is powered with a separate amp? All I want to do is replace the factory sub and use the factory amp/wires.
the factory amp isnt powerful enough for an aftermarket sub, and the box is too flimay to handle the air pressure.
That is the sub, not self powered, I’d have to bolt a separate amp beside it, behind the 2/3 seat.
I guess my question is also, how well will a “downward facing” sub sound aimed at the metal panel of the back of the cab? I assumed I’d need the dynamat to keep it from reverberating and sounding tinny.
down facing anything is a bad idea in general. i cant tell you how many dowfiring subs came into my shop where the sub has fallen out. gravity and vibrations are real.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company Ok, reviving this thread. I still have hopes of more underseat space with the “relocation” of the factory sub but I think this is the last option before I try something like @JefeAZ did. Any thoughts on if this
With a dedicated amp, would fit behind the 1/3 seat with the paneling removed and Dynamat installed on the back of the cab (rear facing sub). It looks to be tight but still doable. I have an existing.

I have a DU-HA underseat storage that accommodates the Sony sub that would have to be cut up if I went with a sub under the seat, but maybe at least bolt the cut end to the sub to keep it from flapping around.
i just realized this is the supercab thread. no, it will not fit behind the rear seats. not a chance. the supercab seats dont fold down. they hook on at the top and clip on with plastic clips at the bottom. i was barely able to fit a jl audio clean sweep back there. @Otis857 has a supercab as well. i helped him install his system many years ago. he knows the supercab struggle

Justbob

Reaction score
i just realized this is the supercab thread. no, it will not fit behind the rear seats. not a chance. the supercab seats dont fold down. they hook on at the top and clip on with plastic clips at the bottom. i was barely able to fit a jl audio clean sweep back there. @Otis857 has a supercab as well. i helped him install his system many years ago. he knows the supercab struggle
@The Car Stereo Company , my bad. I have been reading dozens of stereo posts and missed this was for the SCAB. I have a SCREW. I made a box to mimic the Kicker 46HS10 (self powered) and it fit snugly with the cab backing still there so the “leap” of another 1 inch in depth with the material removed was what I was contemplating. I am almost ready to just go back to that plan with replacement of the front and back door speakers with the tweeters as well and see if that gets me past the mediocrity of the current setup.

The next question would be whether @JefeAZ knows if the box he used would bolt into the SCREW location the same as the SCAB. I am assuming the Sony sub box was the same with the same mounting points and same size ?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company , my bad. I have been reading dozens of stereo posts and missed this was for the SCAB. I have a SCREW. I made a box to mimic the Kicker 46HS10 (self powered) and it fit snugly with the cab backing still there so the “leap” of another 1 inch in depth with the material removed was what I was contemplating. I am almost ready to just go back to that plan with replacement of the front and back door speakers with the tweeters as well and see if that gets me past the mediocrity of the current setup.

The next question would be whether @JefeAZ knows if the box he used would bolt into the SCREW location the same as the SCAB. I am assuming the Sony sub box was the same with the same mounting points and same size ?
i still build gen1 boxes out of fiberglass that fit in the oem location for crewcabs. holds a 10" subwoofer

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the seat bases the same length on the SCab/SCrew? Pretty sure they are, just a little extra foot space on the SCrew. If so it would