SCAB to SCREW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yf22jet

Reaction score
For context my 2019 scab 801a was totaled and so I am now in the process of trying to find a new truck. I can’t find any scabs for sale for a decent price(out of principle I refuse to pay over sticker for any truck let alone a used one). This leaves me with the option of going with a screw raptor or moving onto something else(6.7 tremor?). I loved my scab because it felt light a performance car almost. I could throw it around on the road and it felt “small”. Off road the shorter length and better turning made it a really enjoyable experience(eastern US). I’m worried if I go with a screw I’ll lose some of these qualities that made me love my truck. The way I see it is a screw is just a bigger heavier version of my truck. Am I way over analyzing and the screw isn’t as big of a difference as I’m making it out to be? Has anyone driven both who can comment on this? I’m really just curious if it’s a noticeable difference in power and Handel if or if the extra few feet and couple hundred pounds ends up being negligible in the end.

also I understand a tremor 6.7 is a lot bigger, but if I’m going to lose the small nimble feeling I might as well have 1050 ft/lbs to run away from my sadness lol

D

Deleted member 17706

For context my 2019 scab 801a was totaled and so I am now in the process of trying to find a new truck. I can’t find any scabs for sale for a decent price(out of principle I refuse to pay over sticker for any truck let alone a used one). This leaves me with the option of going with a screw raptor or moving onto something else(6.7 tremor?). I loved my scab because it felt light a performance car almost. I could throw it around on the road and it felt “small”. Off road the shorter length and better turning made it a really enjoyable experience(eastern US). I’m worried if I go with a screw I’ll lose some of these qualities that made me love my truck. The way I see it is a screw is just a bigger heavier version of my truck. Am I way over analyzing and the screw isn’t as big of a difference as I’m making it out to be? Has anyone driven both who can comment on this? I’m really just curious if it’s a noticeable difference in power and Handel if or if the extra few feet and couple hundred pounds ends up being negligible in the end.

also I understand a tremor 6.7 is a lot bigger, but if I’m going to lose the small nimble feeling I might as well have 1050 ft/lbs to run away from my sadness lol

Last year I was set on getting a SCAB. To that point, I had owned 3 Raptors, all of which were SCREW. I am not married and have no kids, so I hardly ever have any one ride in my Raptor. So I thought there is no point in getting another SCREW. But after driving the SCAB and the SCREW, the difference is negligible. The exhaust sounded better to me on the SCAB, besides that, I would say the difference is minuscule. Moreover, the extra 10 gallons of fuel and room in the back seat is quite nice in the SCREW. In short, I went with another SCREW.

By NO means does a SCREW drive like a SD, so you need to drop that logic. Unless you tow and haul heavy loads is the only way you need to get the SD—the SCREW will feel WAY more fun/sporty/comfortable to drive than a SD. So to answer your question, YES, you are over analyzing this :)

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a ‘17 SCAB and now have a ‘20 SCREW and can say all of your concerns are valid. I preferred the SCAB for the same reasons you listed above.

That being said after I did a stage one Goosetune I was fine with the SCREW on power and the difference in handling is minor.

Man, I do miss that Silver SCAB though. Damn cam phasers.

5C8B1539-8DF9-4C2C-883A-4A33CB98C857.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just keep looking for a scab, screws are for families that have money instead of getting a mini-van! You don't need the room, so why pay for all that extra gas and sheet metal (aluminum).

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a SCAB and looked long and hard for it. I’ve never had a truck before so the extra size was really something I didn’t want to deal with. After driving it for over a year I don’t think a SCREW would be all that hard to live with. And having the kids seats farther back that they’re not kicking my seats would be nice.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If nimble and light is what you’re looking for, rule out the SD now.

Personally, I think you’d be good in a SCrew. I never drove an SCab but I can’t imagine adding full length doors would make it that different.

Steven_Born

Reaction score
So I have one of each and have been driving them for almost a year, prior to the Raptors, I drove 1 Ton crew cab 4x4 dually for many years. When I got the SCAB, I have to say that I fell in love with the truck and really liked the sports car feel after coming from the 1 ton but I missed the space in the backseat so this lead me to the SCREW. This does make it so much easier when you have loads of stuff with you or on a run to the store and don't want your food in the bed. Really I have to say that both trucks feel almost the same to me, there are certain things that I absolutely love about the SCREW which is the convenience of the full back seat.

I say go for the best price and features and don't focus on the cab size.